These tender sweet-tart apples take just minutes to prep and taste so much better than the canned version!

Add comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe. This homemade apple pie filling is so perfect for fall. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Cool at room temperature no longer than 1 1/2 hours. I like using a mixture of Granny Smith apples and Honeycrisp for a little different flavor and variety.

This was a 5 star winner on taste, texture, appearance, how it made my house smell, how much my kids loved it, althought they hated peeling all those apples. Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. 6. $20.99 $ 20. Apple Pie Filling is better than any pie filling you can buy at the store and is perfect for homemade apple pie, desserts, and even as a topping for ice cream! This easy, homemade apple pie filling is bursting with perfectly sweet apple flavor mixed with cinnamon and nutmeg. Check out my. Design by Lindsay Humes. We kept original recipe to make apple topping every year (new addition to our cupboard so we were very happy). Add comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe. And don’t let Homemade Apple Pie Filling be limited to only pies! Homemade apple pie filling can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days, or in the freezer for up to 2 months; Now that I’ve had homemade apple pie filling, I’ll never be able to go back to the store bought kind. Add the butter. If you choose to store in a freezer bag; it will last in the freezer for up to 3 months. I followed the formula for the amount of apples and it didn't look like enough, so I added 3-4 cups more apples. Sure, I use it, because it’s easy and makes things like dump cake or slab pie even easier than normal, and you all love easy recipes.

Apple pie can be as simple or gourmet as you want to make it. Everyday Ingredients, Extraordinary Desserts, August 31, 2020 by thedomesticrebel | 6 Comments. Certain times I felt like time was zooming by, but other times everything felt as if time was crawling. Your email address will not be published. Whisk in the flour and cook until the flour begins to brown, about 5 minutes while whisking continuously. It’s all there. 2. You can mix in a teaspoon of vanilla extract after removing from heat for a nice depth of flavor. In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium-high heat. Cut the apples into even slices no more than ¼ of an inch thick. Can’t wait to make this!! Thanks for the recipe.

4.9 out of 5 stars 11.

Apple Pie Filling is the perfect way to cook up your apples. Apples with a nice balance of acid and sweetness are best for baking pies. Remove from the oven and cool completely before serving. Apple pie filling should NEVER come from a can! And you may absolutely use it as a cobbler filling! Give your apples a taste test toward the end of cooking them. It gives it that rich caramel color and it combines with the soft apples so well. Lady who wants the instructions. The filling can be made ahead and kept frozen for later use.

As a bonus you can make it now and freeze it for later! Or store in ziptop freezer bags in the freezer for up to 2 months. Makes a great pie! It’s almost pie season and you’ve gotta be prepared with this Best Ever Homemade Apple Pie Filling! If it wasn’t apparent, I like to bake… a lot. Hi Chrissy, I would probably bake for about 45-50 minutes at 350, tenting with foil if the top browns too quickly. I also reduce the water, but by almost 3 cups. If you're using a deep dish or slightly larger size you need to. 1. After the sauce has cooled completely, store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week or the freezer for up to 3 months. … mix cornstarch and water in a small bowl then addd to the apples and continue cooking until mixture has thickened. Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. I always make it with an oatmeal brown sugar crumb topping (different every time, just mix brown sugar, oats, butter, cinnamon, nutmeg and a little flour to help hold it together until it feels right) and have rave reviews. Add the apples, and cook, stirring, until the sugar dissolves and the mixture begins to simmer, about 2 minutes.

I also decreased the sugar by a cup and slightly increased the cornstarch because there is nothing I hate more than a watery pie! Water: You can add more or less depending on the consistency you enjoy. Pies may be my fave part of fall!

Let’s just say, I’m excited for this crazy year to be over! When I saw this recipe it was perfect timing. In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice and set aside. However, despite the craziness that has affected the world and me personally, I am still excited for fall weather and the end-of-the-year holidays. Golden Delicious apples offer a sweet flavor and the apples hold up well to cooking. Share; Pin it ; Reddit; Jump to Recipe Print Recipe. I went to an apple orchard and got jonathan apples and scaled back on the water called for to 5 cups and increased my apples to 24 cups as orchard apples tend to be juicier.) If you're using a sweeter variety of apple, add a tablespoon of fresh lemon juice to brighten the flavor. I lined 6 foil pie plates with saran wrap, then portioned out the filling. We used eight medium Granny Smith apples and a mixture of 2/3 of a cup sugar, 1/3 of a cup all-purpose flour, and one tablespoon of cinnamon to make Emily's Famous Apple Pie filling. (Since you have decreased the water, you should also decrease your cornstarch by 1/3) I like this recipe so much that I have made 4 batches of this pie filling to freeze so I have it all winter. Thick, flavorful, and bursting with tender, juicy apples for all your pie baking needs and more!

99 ($0.35/Ounce) FREE Shipping.

But switching up your side dishes can bring a refreshing change to a classic comfort food dish.