Gently toss until the vegetables on each pan are lightly coated in oil. Shameful, I know. Top with half of the pasta mixture, and gently spread it into an even layer. We've included recipes for classic roast potatoes, root veg traybakes, whole spiced cauliflower and more. Minimum order of $50. Plan better and re-use your leftovers! In my opinion, it is worth buying! The roasted veggies create such a delicious flavor. I genuinely prefer cottage cheese to ricotta here, even though I can’t stand cottage cheese on its own. We are expecting our first child and would like to get the freezer stocked with healthy meals! That’s great to hear, Amanda. I see that this recipe is likely to be freezer friendly, as is your lentil ziti recipe. I usually opt for whole wheat noodles (love DeLallo and Bionaturae), but those have been harder to come by lately, so I used Whole Foods’ organic ziti for these pictures. Yes, this one is a great comfort food! That has been my experience too with recipes like this if non baking and then freezing. For a delicious side dish, … :) Thanks so much for sharing. Made this on a rainy night. Pre-grated cheese is typically coated in starch or powder that can inhibit its melty factor. I’m happy to hear it was a hit with you ad your wife! I appreciate your review. We LOVE your recipes too. Don’t overcook your pasta. I used zucchini, squash, mushroom, and onion because we love those veggies in anything. All rights reserved. Don’t miss these recipes on Cookie and Kate: This amazing baked ziti recipe is lightened up with roasted vegetables. Ultimate comfort food…we all loved it. Also did freshly grated mozzarella and provolone on top of the layer of ricotta cheese (we are a cheesy couple) Followed the recipe other then that and turned out amazing! You’ll need a three quart baker (think 9×13″ with deep sides) for this one. How did you incorporate the spinach? Thank you so much for this recipe! Fabulous and cheesy to the utmost. On the other pan, combine the bell peppers and onion. I do not have a list yet, but I’m slowly working through my popular casserole dishes to provide in-depth freezing instructions. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Great recipe! We replace the cauliflower layer with browned sweet Italian sausage and we use an orange pepper along with 2 zucchini and 2 summer squash for the roasted veggie layer. I’m so happy you loved it! You’ll need about two pounds prepared vegetables to make it work. Hi! I haven’t tried freezing this one yet. The addition of maple syrup and thyme adds a little luxury, Slow-cooked, pot-roasted vegetables develop a sweet flavour and soft texture, lovely with braised beef, Make this roasted veg as a side, or a time-saving base for other recipes. Amen. I chose cauliflower, which develops the most irresistible golden edges as it roasts, red bell pepper and yellow onion. It took me a while to find the perfect ratio of mozzarella, marinara, and ricotta (I actually used cottage cheese, more on that in a bit). Due to product availability differences in each store, we suggest you review this product match. Leave the oven on at 425, because we’re going to bake the dish at the same temperature. olive oil, heavy cream, lasagne, butternut squash, sage leaves and 7 more. Always on the lookout for alternate meat proteins too. Dog lover. I think your marina is lighter and fresher than any jarred variety I can find here in Ireland (and probably, back in the states too). It was gone in literally 15 min.!! If you made the recipe, please choose a star rating, too. We SO appreciate them. Perfection! I used broccoli and a green bell pepper instead of cauliflower and red bell pepper, and added oregano and red pepper flakes to 2 cans of tomato sauce as my “marinara”. I made this for Father’s Day last Sunday. It may have some extra water once to bake it again. I’m a huge fan of my homemade marinara recipe, but since this recipe is supposed to be simple, I opted for a jarred option from the store. Hi Kate, You can just layer it in one of the layers. Thank you. This, however, is absolutely fabulous – not really all that cheesy at all! Always free • Unsubscribe anytime, 1 medium head of cauliflower, cut into bite-sized florets, 1 medium yellow onion, sliced into wedges about ½″ wide, 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided, 8 ounces (2 packed cups) grated part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided, 2 cups (16 ounces) cottage cheese or ricotta cheese, divided. Offer subject to change or expire without notice. Enter your zip code to find a Walmart near you. Sprinkle the salt over the two pans. Didn’t know cottage cheese can taste so good in a casserole. Thanks for clarifying! Thank you! Thank you for so many fabulous recipes. I cooked it for my host family ( I am an Aupair) and everyone loved it!! So happy there are plenty of leftovers since it’s just the 2 of us and can’t wait to make it again for a bigger crowd. Spread 1 cup of additional marinara sauce inside a 9×13″ baker. Tonight’s veggies are zucchini, yellow squash, and red & yellow bell peppers with spinach mixed in with the penne/cottage cheese. I believe with each cookie and brownie I bake that there is an even amount of butter and sugar mixed in as there is love. Recipe adapted from my lentil baked ziti and Allison Roman’s baked ziti. This dish has all sorts of tasty textures and was not complicated to put together. It also makes your finished dish less greasy than it would be if you used full-fat mozzarella. Arrange the vegetables in an even layer across each pan. Here’s what you’ll need: Preferably ziti, but rigatoni or penne will also work. {{display.ingredient.deal}} {{display.ingredient.unit}} {{display.ingredient.ingredient}}. Check how much of this product you're using for this recipe. 3 ratings 5.0 out of 5 star rating. Made this for Father’s Day dinner last night and it turned out SO good! Line a large baking sheet with tinfoil and lay the chopped sweet potato, brussels sprouts, medium carrots, quartered yellow onion, and broccoli in a single layer on baking sheet. Kate, this is an amazing recipe. I am an avid follower of tour blog. Drizzle with, While the vegetables roast, start the risotto, Heat. The information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator. I would have never thought to throw cauliflower and cottage cheese into a ziti and turns out the flavors mesh together deliciously! Love it! Putting it in my meal rotation! I’m confused about the mozzerella. I will try and send a further comment after we have eaten it. That’s enough filling for two pans. Or should i bake all the way through and then freeze? In the end, I was able to displace half of the ziti (8 ounces) with two pounds (!) I appreciate your review, Rebecca. If you do want to make homemade marinara, you’ll need to double my recipe to yield the four cups you’ll need for this ziti. We are trying to eat more veggies, no white flour and very low or no sugar. If you have a question, please skim the comments section—you might find an immediate answer there. thank you for sharing this link!! Add 2 cups of the marinara, the chopped basil, and ½ cup of the mozzarella to the pasta. ricotta cheese, ground … I believe I’ve hit the nail on the head with the final recipe, and can’t wait to hear how it turns out for you. Excellent recipe! Save time, save money! I haven’t tried to freeze this one and am hesitant as I find recipes like this can release some water. If you’re sensitive to onions, you might want to swap the onion for something else (maybe a sweet potato?). Do you have a list somewhere of freezer friendly recipes that you like? Ricotta, blackberry & pine nut tartine. Customer responsible for all applicable taxes. Drizzle half of the olive oil over one pan, and the other half over the other pan. You can also go ahead and assemble the whole thing and refrigerate until baking.