Related post: 5 beautiful font pairings for premium brands. A font, on the other hand, is a set of digital/printable characters in a specific style and size of the typeface. Settling on a single font that matches your brand’s identity is a tricky task in itself, but as all designers can attest to, finding multiple fonts that pair well together is significantly harder. ), According to Zetafonts Foundry, we often forget “that a good typeface family can allow us enough variations in its weight and width range to make it usable in various design contexts. Your email address will not be published. A font pair is a set of two complementary fonts that give you options when it comes to designing branded assets. In the same vein, Matt Slightam, Design Cuts’ Creative Director, finds research a crucial component in the font pairing process. The more styles you use in your branding, the busier and messier it could look. Nowadays, it is very popular to incorporate additional elements in logos, such as the year of foundation, address, or even a phone number. You can even use FontPair.Co to help you out! Founder of Zetafonts Foundry, Cosimo Lorenzo Pancini, agrees that “Font pairing has always been an elusive subject for us as designers. This, compounded with the fact that today’s market is saturated with fonts for all different tastes and styles, makes it a very challenging and time-consuming process. It get’s quite messy when you introduce too many. ". Or you could use a typeface, like Erotique, which gives you the full range of sans, serif and text versions.”. Thanks to Pavel Korzhenko, the type designer behind Vintage Voyage Design Co., we are able to bring you two case studies: Let us say you want to create a logo for the brand “Stephanie’s Jewelry”. In particular, the combination of elegant and modern works well for new, luxury brands that target millennials. An example of this is her Hello My Love font, which was paired with Kinfolk to create its beautiful graphics. His best bet is to go straight to the foundries, which build synergetic typefaces like Montreux and Lutschine. Matt Slightam agrees with this approach. Now, I don’t think it’s completely imperative for you to know this, but I do think it’s important to understand the differences and of course get a better idea of font pairings and how to use them in your brand. For example, Helvetica is the typeface family, Helvetica Italic is the typeface, and Helvetica italic 10pt is the font. Their website is clean and simple and features a classic heading font paired with a sans serif body font. More recently, however, she has been carefully experimenting with multiple fonts. Did you see my pretty new online SHOP as well? It is best to use normal or wide sans fonts in such cases (hint: serif fonts are not very readable at this size) in medium - bold weight. Letterer Ian Barnard cautions against using two fonts that either look similar or fight for attention. The more styles you use in your branding, the busier and messier it could look. The visual weight of both words should stay approximately the same, with the thickness of the script resembling that of the sans/serif. Before getting into the practical steps of creating a brand identity kit, let’s get an idea of what it is. Suitable combinations are: Playfair Display/Roboto for a modern approach, and Recoleta/Avant Garde Gothic for a friendly, vintage feel. When crafting my brand identity, I aimed to convey both an elegant and modern side, since those adjectives align well with my ideal clients, as well as my personal taste. In essence, the goal is to find a healthy balance between contrast and similarity. Elegant can sometimes imply that a style is refined and classic–in some ways, the opposite of modern, which is generally more youthful and current. That’s the magic of branding. FONT PAIRINGS. My mission is to help visionaries bring their dream business to life so they can achieve freedom and fulfillment in their daily lives. … Kris Lauren from Pretty Little Lines likes to combine a sans serif with a serif font, or a fancy font with something more subtle, all the while keeping it cohesive. I’m excited to be posting more and more about branding! This gives him a starting point as well as a leg up by offering him an idea of what visually works for experienced type designers. Feel free to use ‘letter-spacing’ to help achieve a unique look between your font pairings. So, if you use an uppercase serif for your primary font, don’t use a similar serif for your secondary. The way it’s set up depends on how big a company is. Calligraphy or script is different than lettering: To simplify it, calligraphy is writing in a single pass of the pen or tool. So when creating a full brand, I really only like two use 2-3 max unless one typeface is more creative/unique (like calligraphy or hand-lettering). What would you think of pairing Verona with Montserrat? ADOBE GARAMOND   . Take a peek at google fonts when thinking about designing and using for your website. Notify me of follow-up comments by email. She then moves onto choosing a typeface for the body text. Before beginning the search for a type combination, According to Zetafonts Foundry, we often forget “that a good, Zetafonts Foundry sticks to an important ground rule, which is to not use fonts that are too similar. […], Your email address will not be published. This secondary font would have to contain “visual anchors” that fit the balloon font’s tone and personality. FUTURA   . Jul 16, 2018 - Font combinations can make or break a brand. Its size should be smaller and its stroke thickness thinner. It can be a printed booklet, a digital ebook, or even an interactive design system. A larger company can use a printed booklet. When in doubt, Elena Genova chooses fonts from one superfamily (a superfamily referring to a set of typefaces that work together in harmony, like Montreux Grotesk. Why Brand Photography is so Important for your Business, Modern Brand and Website Design for Earth & Sugar, A Timeless Brand and Website Design : Cherry Blossom Events, April Book Review :: A Fiction, Self-Help, and a Mystery.