The Dos and Don'ts of Amsterdam Coffeeshops. At lunch, they also serve sandwiches for under 4 euros. The boys loved trying all the different dishes. When I was in Amsterdam in June with my kids, we went to Sari Citra. One of the legacies of Amsterdam’s liberal policies in the early 20th century was allowing people to inhabit abandoned buildings as a way of prevent buildings from staying abandoned past a year. Please check our disclosure page for more information. I’m obsessed with Eethuis Pondok Indah. The best places to eat cheaply in Amsterdam, including well-priced cafés, restaurants and takeaways, and cheap fast food restaurants. If you’re exploring the Bloemenmarkt, this cozy Dutch cafe on a hidden side street off Spui has a reasonable lunch-time menu, including tasty Dutch pancakes and reasonable sandwiches. Don't leave without trying the most unique food in the Netherlands. Happily married to Jacob. It’s also possible to keep it vegetarian. Lunch & Dinner. If you've read the reviews of Burger Meester, then you know how much this place is loved. Bazar Amsterdam is a beautiful Mediterranean restaurant with a huge menu in a former synagogue. Simple, delicious, and a quick walk from the bustling Albert Cuypmarkt. Just be warned that having just one is difficult, but it is not to be missed. This Dutch bagel chain all over the Netherlands is an affordable spot for lunch. All the places below offer lunch and/or dinner for about € 15 or less, per person. What a great guide! (Credit cards are not accepted.). Albert Heijn is definitely great for some take away options, my husband has their salads frequently. In Amsterdam, there are plenty of places offering freshly made food at reasonable prices. You can get a massive portion of Indonesian food that will last you two meals for under 14 euros. When I was in Amsterdam we visited a restaurant that was by the pier and made of shipping containers – have you been? Filed Under: Amsterdam, Budget Travel, Europe, Food and Drink Adventures, Holland, Local Guides, The Netherlands, Uncategorized Tagged With: Amsterdam, Budget Travel, food, Netherlands, Travel, travel tips. Click to read more about Dutch haring! That apple pie looks divinely delicious…ohhh and that cheese – yum! I have a minor addiction to their homemade chocolate bars. My friend Olga (from Dreams in Heels) was lucky enough to experience this for herself! This Dutch cheese shop is open until 7pm most nights, accepts credit cards, and is happy to give samples. American expat and cat lover from New York City who lived in Amsterdam…. Oh, that cheese! 30ML is a small coffee roasters from Utrecht which is slowly branching out to other cities. The restaurant imports ingredients from Italy every week, including the southern Italian favourite, genuine buffalo mozzarella. And if you're a burger-loving Amsterdam visitor, you should stop by and see what all the buzz is about! 30ML. Your email address will not be published. Thank you for sharing these. , Thank you very much for sharing all this!! Very adaptable to dietary needs and typically a vegetarian option. However, squatting is now illegal in Amsterdam. Pittig is the word for spicy and don’t ask for it if you don’t mean it! Featuring farm-fresh meats, bread baked by a traditional local bakery and as many organic ingredients as they can get their hands on, Buffet van Odette has a loyal following of regulars, who come to enjoy big, fresh sandwiches and homemade soups in a quaint, canal-side setting. Close to the 9 Streets. Eethuis Pondok Indah Where to find your fondue fix in Amsterdam. Roti includes roti bread along with veggies and chicken (if you wish). Your Trip to the Netherlands: The Complete Guide. Be sure to have cash as they do not accept credit cards! […], […] bookshop around the corner from one of the most famous hofjes in Amsterdam and the best cookies in Amsterdam has a fantastic book selection with some used books upstairs. I recommend also trying bara, a fried Surinamese bread/donut. Best Cheap Eats in Amsterdam, North Holland Province: Find Tripadvisor traveler reviews of THE BEST Amsterdam Cheap Eats and search by price, location, and more. (You can get this with a banana or peppers/sour sauce if you enjoy spicy). Albert Cuypstraat 48Elandsgracht 130Plantage Kerklaan 37 (near Artis Zoo)Open daily 12 - 11 p.m. It’s usually between 1.50 to 2 euros for a small bar. There’s now a second location. In summer, the sidewalk terrace is a favorite sun spot. Lover of travel, adventure, nature, city, dresses, and cats. They’re very veggie-friendly. Pieter (above) and his wife proudly serve up some of the most affordable and delicious Indonesian in Amsterdam. What could be more Dutch? If you haven't read it, you should. This is one of my favorite spots for a post-beer dinner. The setting is absolutely fantastic with many decorations and it’s about 10 euros for more food than you could eat in a day. […] Argentinian food is basically the opposite of eating local, so if you’re interested in learning more about Dutch culture AND staying on budget in Amsterdam, go to one of the many fantastic local restaurants where locals actually will visit. If you want the cheapest beer, just ask for a beer. Finding the best places to eat in Amsterdam where you’re on a tight budget can be tricky as eating in Amsterdam seems expensive. I will have to pin this to save it for my trip next year. The Best Falafel in Paris: Where to Find Delicious Street Treats, The Best Spots for Mother's Day Brunch in Phoenix, Disney World's 11 Best Quick-Service Restaurants, Where to Find Asian Restaurants in Amsterdam, Relax This Easter: Enjoy One of Phoenix's Best Easter Brunches, Where to Find Authentic Mexican Food in Amsterdam, Brunch and Munch at These Chicago Restaurants, Find the Best Eats Close to the Museumplein in Amsterdam. Just kidding, apple pie with this type of topping is VERY dutch and so good. Great list. I’ve been to Amsterdam twice before for short weekends and both have included pretty unhealthy foods! Always ask. Herengracht 309Open daily, 10 a.m. - 10 p.m. (bar to 12 a.m. Haven’t been to many of the other restaurants though. They have a massive Dutch book […], Your email address will not be published. Bring cash as they do not accept credit cards, only Dutch debit cards. The obsession of many Dutchies. One of countless falafel shops in Amsterdam, Maoz is certainly one of the cleanest and freshest options. What a fantastic round up of budget eats throughout Amsterdam – great suggestions. Really. Yes, I know it and mentioned it in my previous neighborhood guide. Don't let the word "vegetarian" fool you; the falafel sandwiches and salads at Maoz will fill you up, and at some locations they even offer the shoarma meat shaved from a spit, in addition to the tasty fried chick-pea balls. I’m totally addicted to the spicy sauce that goes on the chicken and the appetizers. And In Stock looks incredible! Eetcafe ‘t Pakhuis is an awesome spot that is cheap and good and I highly recommend it as well. Their lunch specials are reasonable. Affectionately called “Engels Drop”, these licorice candies are only a euro at the supermarket and drugstores. After wandering around the lovely canals or waiting in line for hours at the Anne Frank House, be sure to consider eating a tasty meal in the Jordaan. Under seven euro, you can get delicious vietnamese Banh Mi Sandwiches. Also, great tips for Amsterdam, will save for the next time I’m in the city! Note: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Water: Tap water is almost always free as long as you specify you want tap water, however some less expensive restaurants refuse to do so. , My kinda post, love local food and that’s affordable. They’ll give you whatever is on tap and only typically ask for the size of the glass. Click for more Dutch foods to try in the Netherlands! great tips and pics! Click for the best cheap eats in Amsterdam, all under ten euros. For a beautiful and healthy meal, look no further than InStock. (Open until 5:30pm most days.) The coffee is excellent and the food menu (eggs/sandwiches/pancakes) is decent quality and fairly priced. There’s multiple branches around Amsterdam. Now, living in The Hague, the Netherlands. It’s so great to see a guide on where to find cheap and yummy eats in a big city, so useful to have for someone that’s travelling on a small budget! Drop. Accepts Credit Cards​. I discovered it on my first trip to Amsterdam and numerous friends/strangers have confirmed my suspicions that this take-out eatery is the real deal. Open for lunch and dinner. I LOVE Tony’s Chocolonely caramel sea-salt!! It’s a non-profit restaurant that strives to prevent food waste by using the leftovers from Albert Heijn. My mom always laughs when she remembers how much they had to walk in Amsterdam with my sister when they were looking for places to eat – they set a limit of five euros for a meal so it always took time to find one This post would have had saved them a lot of searching for sure! La Perla’s pizzas are cooked in their huge, wood-filled brick oven, and prices start at under nine euros.