Blend in honey. I always loved oatmeal cookies! Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a cookie sheet. I love how crunchy these look!! Add any additional ingredients you've chosen. A lovely recipe – classic and simple, which is just absolutely perfect for an oatmeal cookie! No fancy instructions. Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls onto the cookie sheet. https://www.bostongirlbakes.com/8-reasons-your-cookies-spread-too-much/. I’ll have to give these a try and see. The first thing I thought of was that perhaps your oven runs hot, although if you don’t have this problem with other types of cookies, that seems unlikely. I wonder if your old-fashioned oats would be the equivalent to our rough oats in Scotland. You don’t see crisp oatmeal cookies that often and I don’t know why because they are delish! Bake for 12-15 minutes, until the cookies are golden brown with crisp edges and very slightly soft centers. Oatmeal cookies are always popular in my house and these look incredible! I love hearing from you, and other readers will benefit from your experience! Sift together the dry ingredients then stir in the oats. And when people ask me what is my favorite thing to bake, I’m quite torn. Add the egg and vanilla and beat on medium-low to combine. As is probably obvious, I love to cook. Oatmeal cookies are the best! Cool completely then store in an airtight container. Perfect for an easy treat and for dunking into a cold glass of milk! I buy them in bulk and consider them a pantry staple for breakfast, granola, snack bars, and more. Simple ingredients. . Blend in raisins or chips. These cookies make a really lovely little snack. Add any additional ingredients you've chosen. Drop by heaping teaspoonfuls onto the cookie sheet. How sweet to work so hard to recreate the beloved cookie of your husband’s childhood! Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto greased baking sheet. With a snap! Oooohhh! Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 C). Do not sub quick cooking for the old-fashioned rolled oats! Oatmeal cookies are my absolute favorite. These are the best! If only these were the truly great problems and choices of our times. If you try these oatmeal cookies or any other recipe on the blog, please rate the recipe and leave a comment below. This recipe produces simple, old-fashioned, crisp oatmeal cookies with an ever-so-slightly chewy center. They look SO yum!! In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside. These look seriously delicious and I really want to reach in and take a bite. In separate bowl, mix together oats, flour, salt, cinnamon and baking soda; blend into honey mixture. There is one critical element, however, to making a successful batch of these cookies, and that is to use old-fashioned rolled oats. And who could resist them when they are crispy on the outside while soft on the inside? I tried to make these cookies and they turned out really flat and greasy too..like a sheet pan of cookies? Hi Becky- I checked out your Facebook page, your sugar cookies are works of art! Privacy Policy. I love oaty biscuits and these look smashing! In a bowl, stir together the oats, flour, salt, and baking soda. But I will never, ever turn down a good cookie baked by someone else, and these oatmeal cookies look like perfection. And crisp was definitely best for me… They are so easy to make yourself These look delicious. I bake a lot, with success usually, but I consistently have a problem with oatmeal cookies spreading, almost like a lace cookie. Leave a review below, then snap a quick picture and tag. Bake at 350°F for 12 to 14 minutes until cookies are Any amount of the following: chopped dates, figs, raisins, currants, chocolate chips, chopped nuts, Sign up for the Recipe of the Day Newsletter Privacy Policy, Oatmeal, Cranberry and Chocolate Chunk Cookies. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, then add the flour mixture and beat just until incorporated. I used half whole wheat flour and they still blow the doors off! Add raisins and mix just until combined. Fortunately, old-fashioned oats are very easy to find when you look for them, usually right next to the boxed and quick versions in the grocery store. The flavors are simple, but a little hint of brown sugar and cinnamon goes a long way. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a cookie sheet. I will try again with these new tips in mind. My typical oatmeal cookie is chewier. https://www.yummly.com/recipes/healthy-crispy-oatmeal-cookies Love the crispy edges of these cookies! Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats and set aside. Lets see if they can be cut later on into squares….? Best oatmeal cookies I ever made. These oatmeal cookies look so good! Crispy on the edges just how I like it! Using a stand mixer or electric hand mixer, beat together the butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar on medium speed until the mixture is light and fluffy. Beautifully simple old-fashioned oatmeal cookies with crispy edges and a slightly chewy center. All rights reserved. A batch of these would be perfect for the weekend. Thank you so much for the compliment, that was so nice! I love good old fashion crisp oatmeal cookies! Old-fashioned in all the best kinds of ways. Blend in raisins or chips. https://www.nourish-and-fete.com/old-fashioned-crisp-oatmeal-cookies Cookies will keep well at room temperature at least 3-4 days. If baking more than one pan at a time, rotate them midway through the bake time to ensure the cookies brown evenly. I love that your “favorite thing to bake” decision is between cupcakes and cookies — two of my least favorite things to bake! Also is it possible that your butter is very warm, warmer than room temperature? I made them for Ev and they reminded us all of Mary. Thanks for any help you can offer! Love them with a creamy cup of coffee. Bake 12 to 15 minutes. In medium bowl, beat butter with sugar until thoroughly blended. Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto greased baking sheet. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix. I hope this gives you some helpful ideas, but if you’re looking to troubleshoot some more, this post has a lot of helpful suggestions! I’m Monica Lensink, a busy mom, recipe developer and photographer here at Nourish and Fete. Scoop out mounds of dough approximately 2 tablespoons each and roll into balls. My father would absolutely love these so I’m going to make them for him! I cannot wait to give this version a go. Your email address will not be published. They do not hold up as well when mixed into the dough and baked, and the end result will NOT be the same. I love that cupcakes can be very festive and beautiful, but honestly, is there anything as downright comforting as a homemade cookie? I think oatmeal cookies are my favorite kind of cookie. Quick oats simply don’t hold their shape and texture nearly as well when mixed into the dough and baked. © 2020 NATIONAL HONEY BOARD. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix. Are you always using old-fashioned oats in the recipes that give you trouble? They go beautifully with a cup of tea for an afternoon snack, or with a tall glass of cold milk for an after-school treat. I prefer them to chewy cookies big times! In separate bowl, mix together oats, flour, salt, cinnamon and baking soda; blend into honey mixture. And while we have far too many “family favorite” cookie recipes (here, here, and here, for starters), this one holds a special place in my heart. I adore oatmeal cookies. It’s one for which I searched high and low, then worked to recreate, with the aim of mimicking a simple, classic oatmeal cookie my husband remembers his Mom making when he and his siblings were small. But in truth, baking was my first love. What have I done wrong ? Remove from oven and allow cookies to cool 2 to 3 minutes before removing from baking sheet. Blend in egg and vanilla, mixing until smooth. All rights reserved. © 2020 Discovery or its subsidiaries and affiliates. I have made a few batches of different oatmeal cookies and usually its the other way round they are too thick and a bit cakey.. but this one is the exactly opposite .. Help please, I must’ve done something wrong because my cookies are flat and somewhat greasy. Bake at 350°F for 12 to 14 minutes until cookies are golden brown. Love that these are crisp too! Cookies vs. cupcakes? I don’t recommend using quick cooking oats, even if you have them on hand. Using a mixer with the paddle attachment, mix together the butter, brown sugar, honey, egg and water thoroughly.