Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals. Pretty simple and so yummy. It was delicius. Cyrus Todiwala's simple red lentil dal is great for those on a budget. And though lentil dishes have been around for a long time in India, the history of daal dates far way back in a period in which lentils were probably a staple food all over South Asian countries. Check and stir from time to time. It’s just a shame that so many people completely rely on these canned foods David. (Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate. Hope you have an amazing weekend too! Read More…. Add the stock and tomatoes. That sure does look delicious. sounds great. Not only that, it’s a great budget recipe and can be easily frozen too. Compared to the US and Canada, British convenience food is everywhere and almost always ‘fresh’. Using a fork pierce the whole chillies and add to the pan with a … All kinds of dals are staple food in our house. Get it free when you sign up for our newsletter. I hope you enjoy it and make that naan! I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! It’s the same in our household. I really loved this recipe. It’s fun to just come home and make it yourself! Let’s start making this lentil dahl! That’s exactly what I hope people will use it for. Add the garam masala, turmeric and red pepper flakes to the pan and stir into the onion mixture. Lastly, add the spices, and sauté for a few seconds to unfold flavors. The dahl looks so comforting and perfect for the weekday meals. Thank you! I’m putting it in my favorites. Rinse the lentils under cold running water in a fine-mashed sieve. I have been cooking different cuisines especially Indian food since the lockdown started. Love the idea of serving it with naan bread…which leads me to an idea of creating a curry flatbread. I used just one cup of fresh chopped spinach. There ​is actually a wide range of dahls made from many different types of lentils and other vegetables called "pulses." In a frying pan heat the oil or butter. After that, add the garlic and ginger and sauté for another minute until fragrant. That got me thinking. Rinse the red lentils under cold water and empty them into a large saucepan or casserole pot. Seal, and cook at high pressure for 10 minutes. Servings 4 Servings. That’s where this one pot chickpea and red lentil dalh comes in handy. Filed Under: Curry & Soup, Lunch & Dinner, Recipes Tagged With: autumn, chickpea, chickpeas, coconut, creamy, curry, dahl, dairy-free, dal, egg-free, fall, flatbread, garlic, ginger, gluten-free, green, hot, indian, lentils, naan, onions, peas, rice, sauce, savory, soup, spicy, stew, tomato, vegan, vegetables, vegetarian, winter. This dish is also rich in micro- and macronutrients like carbohydrates and protein, so it nourishes your body perfectly. I used kale instead of spinach since that’s what I had. Hopefully I’ve proved here how easy it is to make your own dahl at home. Here you’ll find many delicious recipes which are mainly plant-based and easy to make for everyone. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Very delicious recipe. I have read and accepted the Privacy Policy *, Hi! So glad you enjoyed this lentil dahl! Add the spices, stir, then add the lentils, coconut milk and broth. . Enjoy! We make daal amost every other day but never cared to add chickpeas. Serve with quinoa or rice, and save the leftovers for … The longer you leave it simmer for the thicker the sauce will become. An easy comforting weekday meal. I Made Some garlic naan to eat on the side. First, in a skillet or saucepan, heat the coconut oil. Yes! Ich habe heute das linsendal gekocht. So I haven’t done a new stir-fry recipe for a while. Here’s how to store it: Want to make the best lentil dahl? , Your email address will not be published. Each serving provides 356kcal, 19g protein, 46g carbohydrate (of which 6g sugars), 9g fat (of which 1g saturates), 8g fibre and 1g salt. We love our dahl here. Surely I can help people make this as quickly, easily and as cheaply as possible and healthy too of course. You can use water if you don’t have broth, just add more salt at the end, to taste. I’m also looking forward to seeing a “curry flatbread” on your blog soon. Thanks for the comment! Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for about 15 minutes, until the lentils are cooked and soft. Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list. It can be frozen for up to six months. Sounds great! It’s not only time saving but its the frugal in me! Cook Time 20 mins. Good and spicy. A delicious easy healthy and vegan recipe that’s great served with rice or naan breads! Skim off any foam that has risen to the top. ), The Spruce Eats uses cookies to provide you with a great user experience and for our, Spicy Indian Bombay Potatoes With Chilies, Classic Moroccan Harira: Tomato, Lentil, and Chickpea Soup, Indian Masala Kheema (Dry Spicy Minced Meat), High-Protein Barley Vegetable Soup With Lentils, Lentil Soup With Spinach and Spicy Sausage. Add lentils and cook uncovered for 10 minutes, stirring every few minutes to prevent burning on the … Nutritional information is an estimate only and does not include rice or naan. Filling too! And want to serve this lentil curry with naan breads why not make your own by using my tried and acclaimed home made naan bread recipe? I absolutely loved your red lentil Dahl ❤️ Easy to make and so tasty!! These are the balti dishes I use to serve my curries. I think that people consider a dahl to be difficult because its an Indian food and they’ve probably only ever tasted it in a restaurant Mimi. Lunch & Dinner, Main Course, Side Dish, Soup. A delicious easy healthy and vegan recipe that's great served with rice or naan breads!Click to Tweet. Neil, this is my kind of meal! It’s delicious, healthy and one of the best lentil dishes to warm you up in winter or for cold weather. (Tip: If the sauce is too thick or if you’d like to serve this Indian lentil dish as a soup, add a more broth or coconut milk until your desired consistency is reached.). , Your email address will not be published. The Instant Pot instructions were spot on. I’m bringing you my healthy and easy sweet and sour chicken recipe next week! Filed Under: Curry, Dinner, Recipes Tagged With: chopped tomatoes, Onion, Red Split Lentils. Combine all the spices in a small dish while preparing the ingredients. . Once the oil is hot, add the onion, garlic, and ginger. You see everything goes into the same pot with no frying or standing over the pot involved! Nutrition information doesn't include rice. This dahl sounds super easy…perfect for these busy nights! Cut the courgette into bite-size pieces and roughly chop the tomatoes. Wow! Thanks for your great feedback! And if you do have the time. Bring to a low boil, then turn down the heat to low, cover and let the soup simmer for about 20 minutes, or until lentils are very tender. Whether you’re rich or poor, everybody eats this dish. I am sure it must have tasted great. Just make sure to use fresh ingredients to preserve the taste once you refrigerate or freeze them. Made the instant pot recipe, and it turned out amazing!!!! Vegan, Gluten Free and low calorie. The only things you’ll still have to do is the prep but that’s only 20 minutes or so. I always try and make large batches of everything I cook if possible Laura to store in the freezer for future meals. Thank you for the great easy recipe! Budget friendly red lentils are the star of this Indian dish, full of plant protein and fiber.