Highly recommend reading this one. 7.5 / 10. So I'm saving this for a time when I can appreciate it as much as it deserves <3. It’s not only set at Halloween time, but the whole story is just full of spooky goodness! It was fun to read aloud to my grade school child as well. This was super cute. And while the story concludes satisfactorily, I couldn’t help feeling like the ending was too rushed. One of my kids is a teen & the other still in grade school. Claribel Ortega’s debut middle grade novel, ‘Ghost Squad,’ weaves together supernatural elements with a celebration of Dominican culture. After viewing product detail pages, look here to find an easy way to navigate back to pages you are interested in. Format: HBOOK. I felt like there was too much lead up and not enough action. Shortly before Halloween, Lucely and her best friend, Syd, cast a spell that accidentally awakens malicious spirits, wreaking havoc throughout St. Augustine. Equal parts thrilling caper, spooky ghost mystery, and loving family story, Ghost Squad is an incredibly fun read. The book is relatively short in length, and the plot moves along pretty quickly. Title: Ghost Squad. Utterly adorable. Ghost Squad  Hardcover – April 7, 2020 by Claribel Ortega  (Author), Claribel A. Ortega (Author) Coco meets Stranger Things with a hint of Ghostbusters in this action-packed supernatural fantasy.For Lucely Luna, ghosts are more than just the family business.Shortly before … A really fun middle grade to read over the spooky season. Ghost Squad, Hardcover by Ortega, Claribel A., ISBN 1338280120, ISBN-13 9781338280128, Brand New, Free shipping in the US Casting a spell that accidentally awakens malicious spirits that wreak havoc throughout St. Augustine, Lucely and Syd team up with the latter’s grandmother and tabby cat to break the curse and save Lucely’s firefly spirits. A vocabulary list featuring "Ghost Squad" by Claribel A. Ortega, Chapters 11–16. This was a perfectly spooky MG fantasy read! And it's a fun story full of jokes, culture, and family. Only most of her family are ghosts and … It was such a quick book to get lost in and really feel immersed and definitely one of the cutest I've read all year. This is a middle grade with Paranormal and Magic. 3-5, 6-8 Genre. - Ghost Squad by Claribel A. Ortega (2020, Hardcover). To see what your friends thought of this book, Thank you! She's 12 and lives with her father Simon who runs a small local (and failing) ghost tour in St. Augustine Florida. Prizes, Q&A & more! She seems especially awesome! April 7, 2020. This book helped my kids through the transition from school/activities/Florida theme park hopping to quarantine. I did love the pop culture references dropped throughout!! My daughter wants to see the movie. Ghost Squad. Please sign in or register to continue checkout. Top subscription boxes – right to your door, © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. And let me tell you that she is the. **I received a copy of this book from the publisher, which does not influence my review** Claribel A. Ortega’s debut novel, Ghost Squad, is a delightful middle grade with lots of heart and a cast of character that is sure to charm readers of every age. My kids want a second book. , The book is a thrilling adventure along the lines of Goonies & perfect for all ages. The movie adaptation of this book is gonna be an instant hit. Start typing to see results or hit ESC to close, Funniest ‘Supernatural’ Episodes To Watch Before It Ends, 10 Reasons Why You Should Be Watching ‘It’s Okay To Not Be Okay’, Review: Clanlands by Sam Heughan & Graham McTavish, 6 Middle Grade Novels To Get You Into The Christmas Spirit, Review: The Boy, the Wolf, and the Stars by Shivaun Plozza, #ReadWithPride: The Deepest Breath by Meg Grehan, Read An Excerpt From ‘Loretta Little Looks Back’ by Andrea Davis Pinkney, Mysteries and Tarot In Elka Ray’s ‘Killer Coin’, 5 Reasons Why Children’s Literature Is Not Just For Children, Raya, the First Southeast Asian Disney Princess, Q&A: Andrea Portes, Author of ‘This Is Not A Ghost Story’, Lovecraft Country Recap: 1.05 ‘Strange Case’, Lovecraft Country Recap: 1.06 ‘Meet Me in Daegu’. What a cute, spooky, and fun read! I loved this sooooo much! Munch on some fun snacks and food inspired by Ghost Squad during the launch party and beyond! The story is rooted in Dominican folklore, and whether you’re someone familiar with the tales that influence the book or not, you’ll find it incredibly delightful. Reviewed in the United States on June 7, 2020. Now they must team up with Syd’s witchy, leather jacket clad grandma and her grumpy cat to save Lucely’s ghost family and the town. -- Zoraida Córdova, author of The Way to Rio Luna and the Brooklyn Brujas series Ghost Squad manages to be both creepy and heartwarming, fulfilling a need for stories that are both deeply relatable and culturally specific. Shortly before Halloween, Lucely and her best friend, Syd, cast a spell that accidentally awakens malicious spirits, wreaking havoc throughout St. Augustine. Join authors Claribel A. Ortega, Ryan La Sala, Zoraida Córdova as they celebrate the release of Claribel's debut, GHOST SQUAD! If you’re a fan of Pixar’s Coco or just really like spooky (but not too spooky) middle grade fiction, you’re bound to love this book. This is SUPER cute but I'm weirdly not in the mood for MG right now? *Please note Amazon & Kindle links lead to my Amazon influencer page & I make a small commission if you order using the links on this page. When something unusually creepy and strange happens during one of her father’s Ghost Tours, Lucely realises the ghosts of her dead family members (who live with her as fireflies) are in danger, and she teams up with her best friend Syd to find a spell that will help her fix the mess. Ortega uses some much-beloved elements and tropes of a typical middle grade story in clever and unexpected ways and there are epic battles, best friends teaming up and going on a quest to find a magical object, and a band of misfits saving the day! Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required. So as you all know, I am trying to catch up with the … So now they have to combine forces with Syd’s powerful grandmother, Babette, and her fat cat, Chunk, to save their town and families. Coco meets Stranger Things with a hint of Ghostbusters in this action-packed supernatural fantasy.For Lucely Luna, ghosts are more than just the family business.