[citation needed]. “I Wanna Dance With Somebody” will have full access to Houston’s songs. Classic Whitney: Live from Washington, D.C. The Babyface-produced album featured original music from one of the movie's stars, Whitney Houston, along with fellow R&B/pop greats Aretha Franklin, Brandy, Toni Braxton, TLC and more. Whitney Houston long ago earned the indisputable title of Pop Diva, with all the fame, acclaim, travails and record sales such a crown brings. This fell in the middle of a remarkable seven-song run of US #1 hits for Whitney Houston that were spread across her first two albums. Houston, who is dressed rather conservatively, has just entertained a throng of happy fans, but finds herself feeling lost and melancholy in a black-and-white world. Whichever category you fall into, each week we'll feature a video that's possibly been collecting dust when what it really deserves is a fresh look. [15] Six weeks later, it reached the top spot of the chart, making it Houston's fourth number-one single in the United States, the issue date of June 27, 1987 ― the same day that Houston's album Whitney debuted at number one on the Billboard 200 (formerly "Top Pop Albums") the first time ever by a female artist. Yeah! Some of the content on this site expresses viewpoints and opinions that are not those of the Recording Academy. A biopic of the singer, who died on Feb. 11, 2012, is underway with the title I Wanna Dance with Somebody from screenwriter Anthony McCarten (The Theory of … The movie is the latest venture to come out of the estate, which also worked on a touring hologram of Houston. There's something special about stepping into a space where albums you love were made. (Dance) "[4] Los Angeles Times's pop music critic, Robert Hilburn described the song as "a deliciously raucous tune with a bit of the synthesizer underpinning and giddy zest of Cyndi Lauper's 'Girls Just Want to Have Fun.'"[5]. Whoa-oh-oh-oh oh-oh-oh (Dance) Somebody who, somebody who Maude Lemaire is the artist behind the mural, which will be installed a few blocks from the Prudential Center in Newark's Central Ward. This fell in the middle of a remarkable seven-song run of US #1 hits for Whitney Houston that were spread across her first two albums. The prior year at the 1986 GRAMMYs, the vocal powerhouse earned her first golden gramophone, for "Saving All My Love For You" and, at the 30th GRAMMY Awards, she earned her second, for "I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me). And the sun begins to fade We are proud to announce that we will be bringing an iconic Whitney Mural to life to celebrate the city’s rich music history. [10][11] The music video for the song was nominated for "Best Music Video" at the 2nd Soul Train Music Awards on March 30, 1988. I wanna feel the heat with somebody I wanna dance with somebody I need a man who'll take a chance Maybe in contrast to the earnest melodramatics of the latter song, Houston just wanted to have fun this time around. So we sent our demo version off to Clive Davis and he loved it.[2]. But there was once a simpler, more innocent pre-diva time — before she became Bobby Brown's prerogative and before she announced herself as "Every Woman" — when Houston was simply a fresh-faced ingenue with a heart-melting smile and a killer set of pipes. In the end — after the Flashdance homage and after the jarringly primitive animation gags — our girl decides not to retire to her grand hotel, preferring instead to follow the dancing, skipping men into a buzzing club. Ooh, ooh (Dance) Stella Meghie is set to direct, while Anthony McCarten will write the screenplay. It also took the American Music Award for Favorite Pop/Rock Single. This won the Grammy Award for Best Pop Vocal Performance, Female. Yeah! "[6] In 2006, Slant Magazine ranked the song at #88 in their 100 Greatest Dance Songs, commenting that "with its parenthetical title, gummy bassline, schmaltzy horns, tinkling keyboards, and half-step key changes,[7] [the song] is definitive '80s dance-pop. Whitney Houston’s 1987 single “I Wanna Dance with Somebody (Who Loves Me)” was her biggest hit until “I Will Always Love You,” five years later. This year's edition of the alt-biennial is titled "I Wanna Dance With Somebody." Subscribe to NJ.com », Amy Kuperinsky | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com. Welcome to Forgotten Videos. Cue the rhythm track, the neon lights and three-figure confetti budget, and Houston — now with big hair and earrings seemingly made of Jolly Rancher candies — is suddenly full of color and singing her heart out in a garishly overlit '80s fantasy world. The video features Houston in a pink dress and a continuous shot of a purple backdrop that never changes its angle of vision. It was released as the album's lead single on May 2, 1987 by Arista Records. I wanna dance with somebody Ooh (Dance) Rendering of the Whitney Houston mural installation. Varsity gymnastics routine and fighting off seizures. [Chorus] Somebody who, somebody who ", GRAMMY Rewind: Watch Whitney Houston Win Best Female R&B Vocal Performance At The 2000 GRAMMYs. With me, baby Now that's star power! That was the thought behind the song. With somebody who loves me The cause of death was accidental drowning, with heart disease and cocaine listed as contributing factors. With somebody who loves me “I am so glad that Anthony McCarten has committed to a no-holds-barred, musically rich screenplay that finally reveals the whole Whitney whose vocal genius deeply affected the world while she bravely battled the demons that were to be her undoing.”. Don't-cha wanna dance, say you wanna dance (Dance) [40] This popularity of the single across Europe led to the song topping the European Hot 100 Singles chart for eight weeks. "I Wanna Dance with Somebody (Who Loves Me)" is a song recorded by American singer Whitney Houston for her second studio album, Whitney. For some, these videos are forgotten, for others just filed away, and for others still, a totally brand-new discovery. When you walk into historic Lost Angeles recording studio The Village and admire the countless gold and platinum records lining the walls, it's impossible not to feel inspired as you imagine the massive talent and creativity that the cozy building has held since 1968. Sarah Cascone , March 25, 2019 The 2017 Whitney Houston Biennial. But, the song did not impress the producer Narada Michael Walden, who had produced "How Will I Know. SA SP2 DMM SP1-ISM3- Sterling SPHRM, Matrix / Runout (Etched runout side B, v2): AD-1-9599. Don't-cha wanna dance? I wanna dance with somebody :), I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me), I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me) (12" Remix), I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me) (Single Version), I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me) (12" Remix-Radio Edit), I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me) (Dub Mix), I Wanna Dance With Somebody (Who Loves Me) (Acappella Mix), Producer, Drums [Uncredited], Arranged By [Uncredited], Recorded By [Uncredited], Mixed By [Uncredited], Vocals [Uncredited], Arranged By [Vocals, Uncredited], Backing Vocals [Uncredited], Buy Vinyl, Matrix / Runout (Printed label side A): AD1-9599-SA, Matrix / Runout (Printed label side B): AD1-9599-SB, Matrix / Runout (Stamped runout side A, v1): ᐉ, Matrix / Runout (Stamped runout side B, v1): ᐉ, Matrix / Runout (Etched runout side A, v1): I AD-1-9599. Get ready to see more Whitney Houston on the big screen (when the big screen is allowed to reopen). Yeah Huh See how well you know your Weezer in this Fact or Fiction. "When the night falls..." The verses to "Dance" are obviously underplayed and wound-down from the …