Barry Allen may be referred to as "The Fastest Man Alive", but there are some speedsters out there that can take him to the limit. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Unfortunately, his powers become diminished when people stop worshiping him. It would cause a massive time-space local distortion and the annihilation of matter in that spot, with an energy release that would be catastrophic.Now, if the premise was that Superman travels faster than light without actually traveling, but like teleporting or distorting space-time, then we may accept it. and escaping from kryptonite radiation. What would happen to Superman after a Kryptonite injection? True or false: People who report questions and answers  that aren’t truly offensive or illegal aren’t people who are wet blankets? Also, we see him accellerating. Lol can superman fly to Jupiter in less then an hour? ...let's just hope the Kryptonite is out of harm's way before Superman "softly" touches whatever the Kryptonite was resting upon. I'm not arguing here. He is also skilled in hand-to-hand combat. Maybe he ate beans for supper, and had a butt rocket boost. It would work if the Kryptonite just came to existence. But if it moves at 90 percent the speed of light, its mass will double. What modern innovations have been/are being made for the piano. However, if you really want to get technical, based on the desired continuity that you chose to begin with Superman was at one time able to only leap tall buildings not fly. Earth to a comet, as long as he does the maths he wouldn't need to be able to produce constant thrust in space, just jump with more then escape velocity in the right direction. Science Fiction & Fantasy Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for science fiction and fantasy enthusiasts. His eyes work fundamentally like everyone else's. I know some people just like the fights, but for me they are the boring bits lol. To subscribe to this RSS feed, copy and paste this URL into your RSS reader. On Earth Superman's fastest speed is 2000/ms equal to 7,200,000 mph that is nowhere near light speed which travels at 186,282/ms equal to 670,616,629 mph. Let's say it took about 12 hours to be safe [even though it seems to have taken less]. @Null I found the reference; The demonstration of the fastest speed in the Universe is done in. For the Justice League of America, that meant he was able to copy The Flash’s lightning speed. By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy. Still not quite as fast as Flash though. As Superman can't see things faster than light, I guess he can't tell it's there, until it's too late... Of course, if he's out of the range of the radiation, he can see it and get away fast enough - he has telescopic sight sufficient to see individuals from Low Earth Orbit, after-all. I don't think I was clear in stating my point but it's not so important. Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience. Honestly it depends what version and atmosphere he is in. Being able to "focus" would not change this, unless we mean that he could "de-focus" on everything else. @MrLister: The history of the DC universe has been completely rewritten a time or two since then, so we no longer have to explain away the silliness they included (such as Jimmy getting a new super power every time someone sneezed). ...How would he not be FTL, actually FTL is downplaying him since he can fly to the edge of the universe and shit. It seems as though Black Flash is the conduit for Death, since Death is not fast enough to capture these superhumans himself. In a recent issue of Red Hood and The Outlaws, Superman flew from Pluto, back to Earth in the same amount of time, or faster, than the Outlaws were able to teleport back to Earth. What is the significance of barley as opposed to wheat in Ancient Rome? and escaping from kryptonite radiation, “Question closed” notifications experiment results and graduation, MAINTENANCE WARNING: Possible downtime early morning Dec 2/4/9 UTC (8:30PM…. Despite being able to fly faster than the speed of light in a vacuum, Superman is not faster than the Flash. Will Superman have his powers while holding kryptonite and being near the sun? there are canon reason (i,e him manipulating certain types of atoms etc) to non-canon reasons (i,e like luthor's theory), @kyrees: yeah, it all sounds very much implausible. But there is a substantial difference between creating something sci-fi that does great stuff, and another to ignore laws that are there without an actual justification. But similar to how you are able to focus to on the voice of a person at a bar or a stadium over all the other noise, or focus on a specific person or color in a crowed room, Superman can (on a ridiculously high level) focus on what he sees/hears, etc. In space Superman does not have that limitation and can let it rip. I still get what you're saying though. @kyrees: hehe there are no atoms in space, I'd like to see the explanations... Also why does he have to be able to fly in space, rockets basically jump from Earth to the moon, I earth to Marths or in the case of Rosetta. Is there always a homotopy taking a point to another in a connected manifold? Outside of a planetary atmosphere he has proven to be able to achieve speeds faster than light, traveling from Pluto to Earth in a matter of minutes. Black Flash acts as Death to those with superspeed, seeking out those who use the Speed Force. Superman, faster than light? Beta by any appreciable level of metal. I was watching "Superman Returns" on HBO and wondered that when he was flying in to save the plane. @kyrees: sadly not true, it's not nothing, but it's mostly nothing, you can state mass less particles are 'atoms' if you like, but it doesn't make it true. But he would need to work out how it will effect his destination. With that in mind, let’s take a look at some of the speedsters that could crush Barry Allen in a foot race, as well as some others that make better impostors than competitors. Pertaining to Flash: the world's fastest man, Flash can access, what he calls the "Speed Force", Superman can only use his own super speed. Thinking about E=MCC (don't know the symbol for squared), if he was somehow to retain physical form instead of converting to pure energy, the friction, collisions and resistance generated from colliding with even the molecules in the surrounding air would unleash huge amounts of energy. Anyway, for giving you such a pedantic, douchebaggy answer, I'm going to ask you to please thumb me down now. He can see kryptonite radiation from any location within his range of vision (which extends to the far reaches of a galaxy) from wherever he is. Also, the statement itself is contradictory. and sorry to burst your bubbles, all you superman fans, but he is faster than a speeding bullet, not faster than a speeding light. :). Hi, welcome to the SciFi & Fantasy StackEchange! A man obsessed with becoming the fastest there ever was, Savitar -- named after the Hindu God of Speed -- was one of Wally West's most dangerous foes. From his blue uniform to his flowing red cape to the "S" shield on his chest, Superman is one of the most immediately recognizable and beloved DC Super Heroes of all time. All the latest gaming news, game reviews and trailers. See Thaddeus Howze's answer for the illustration. Yeah I agree. Superman is an alien whose physiology is unique. When Superman turned back time he was in space. Flying Blind: If Supie flies at, say, ten times the speed of light, the light (from any object) that reaches his eyes is moving at the speed of light. The downside of warp drives: Annihilating whole star systems when you arrive. What does it mean when something is said to be "owned by taxpayers"? © 2020 GAMESPOT, A RED VENTURES COMPANY. August himself was later stuck by the Speed Force lightning in Central City, but looking to seek revenge on the who took out his brother, he became the rebel villain Godspeed in secret. Several statements of him being less than light speed and than feats of him being faster than light. Since Superman can handle both x-rays and gamma radiation, both with energy levels far greater than either of those, it is safe to assume Kryptonite would be on the order of x-rays and gamma radiation or he wouldn't have to worry about either of them. Earth-Pluto (4.67 billion km of distance) in minutes is in the bases of the 17 billion km/h that Batman refers in the JLs (aprox.16xlightspeed). I, like you, think that in superhero comics actual science should be left out the door.