Born in Prince George, British Columbia, and raised in Piedmont, California, Butler studied communication arts at the University of the Pacific in Stockton, California.. Career. 118 people died in the crashes, and Blume's father, who was a dentist, helped to identify the unrecognizable remains. The couple married in 1976, and they moved to New Mexico for Kitchens' work. Blume and Cooper were married in 1987. [18], Judy Blume has won more than 90 literary awards, including three lifetime achievement awards in the US. A comprehensive list, annotated. I would have laughed. Blume serves on the board for other organizations such as, "the Author's Guild; the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators; the Key West Literary Seminar; and the National Coalition Against Censorship." She was previously married to Jerry Sheindlin and Ronald Levy. Truly. The couple married in 1976, and they moved to New Mexico for Kitchens' work. I cried every day. All of her efforts go into helping protect the freedom to read. I didn't know anything about writers. She was inducted into the 2010 New Jersey Hall of Fame for her services and contributions to literature. [32], Shortly after her separation, she met Thomas A. Kitchens, a physicist. In 1996, Blume was the recipient of the American Library Association's Margaret A. Edwards Award for contributions to young adult literature. She was awarded the 2004 National Book Foundation Medal for Distinguished Contribution to American Letters. A personal view of the writing life. This page was last modified on 18 November 2015, at 17:25. According to the citation, "She broke new ground in her frank portrayal of Michael and Katherine, high school seniors who are in love for the first time. BLUME JUDY. But she literally put my hand in the hand of a publisher.” They chatted, and before they said goodbye, the publisher asked her how she knew Judy. [8][34], Blume announced she was diagnosed with breast cancer in August 2012 after undergoing a routine ultrasound as she was preparing to leave for a five-week trip to Italy. Official Sites. The One in the Middle Is the Green Kangaroo, Distinguished Contribution to American Letters, Judy Blume: Biography, Facts, Books & Banned Books, In the Unlikely Event by Judy Blume, review: 'a slice of life', "Paperback - The Best-Selling Children's Book of All-Time", "Early Blumers: In defense of censorship", "Distinguished Contribution to American Letters", "Literary Prize for Judy Blume, Confidante to Teenagers", "After Two Divorces, Judy Blume Blossoms as An Unmarried Woman—and Hits the Best-Seller List Again", http://judyblume.com/books/fudge/double.php, "Judy Blume: On censorship, life, and staying in the spotlight for 25 years", "Judy Blume Shares Breast Cancer Diagnosis", Most frequently challenged authors of the 21st century, Letters to Judy: What Kids Wish They Could Tell You, https://infogalactic.com/w/index.php?title=Judy_Blume&oldid=10588, Commons category link is defined as the pagename, Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development alumni, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, About Infogalactic: the planetary knowledge core, John M. Blume (1959–1976; divorced; 2 children). Required fields are marked *. [9] Blume has recalled, "I spent most of my childhood making up stories inside of my head." The couple separated in 1975 and were divorced by 1976. Blume has one grandchild from her daughter, Randy – a grandson named Elliot Kephart. She is also the founder and trustee of a charitable and education foundation, called "The Kids Fund." On the table is a bouquet given to her at the awards ceremony, which she wants to bring to her publishers’ office so that they can enjoy it too. after a 2 year struggle with pancreatic cancer. Author, Teacher, Novelist, Screenwriter, Television producer, George Cooper, Thomas Kitchens, John Blume, Judy Blume, Blume, Judy, Judy Blume (Judy Sussman), Medal of Distinguished Contribution to American Letters, Dorothy Canfield Fisher Children's Book Award, Glamour Award for The Author-Activist, Kids’ Choice Award for Favorite Book, Goodreads Choice Awards Best Historical Fiction, National Book Award for Children’s Books (Fiction, Paperback). That is the monster under the bed, and I wanted to look under the bed and face it head on.” She says her concern spreads beyond clear miscarriages of justice to encompass the vast numbers of those in jail for non-violent drug offences, or who are mentally ill. “I’m not only interested in the ‘innocent people’; when we make that distinction between innocent and not innocent, we miss the major issues about prison reform.”, But while the horror thrown up by her research was stopping her from sleeping, it was not, she tells me, “moving my pen … I felt like I was trying to animate statistics”. Elliot is credited with encouraging his grandmother to write the most recent "Fudge" books. At this moment, we turn to order some coffee. Not a dentist, like my father, or a homemaker, like my mother -- and certainly not a writer, although I always loved to read. TV Series novel - 13 episodes, 1995 novel "Fudge-A-Mania" - 1 episode, 1995, TV Movie documentary special thanks: Tashmoo Productions, Herself - Author (segment: 'In Full Blume').