Children will love to decorate with chocolate strands and chocolate decorations. We are using cookies to give you the best experience on our website. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. To make a plain butter icing, simply omit the cocoa powder and start by adding 2 tbsp of milk rather than 3. This website uses cookies so that we can provide you with the best user experience possible. I think both kids and adults would love these cupcakes! Time to cook Mary Berry for Spiced Christmas Cupcakes. If you have an ice-cream scoop, they spoon out the perfect amount so can make life a bit easier (and less messy). Jacqui – Only Crumbs Remain/Recipes Made Easy, Click here to opt-out of Google Analytics. https://www.redonline.co.uk/food/recipes/a501126/mary-berrys-lemon-cupcakes Recipe from Mary Berry's Complete Cookbook, DK, £25, www.dk.com. These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. Finally, mix up the cocoa powder with the boiling water in a small bowl. For this recipe you will need an electric hand whisk. While your kids are doing that, measure the baking powder and add that. Then to add the brandy until light and creamy. Spoon over the tops of the cakes. A metal skewer or cocktail stick put in the centre should come out clean. I was looking for a chocolatey bake to make with the kids at the weekend! They were delicious! They looked amazing despite my toddler’s haphazard approaching to weighing! Piping can be a bit tricky for small hands, so younger children especially, might need a bit of help but it is a fun thing to try. Add the butter icing to a piping bag with a large star shaped nozzle. You leave the cakes in the tin to cool for 15 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely before decorating. Such cute pics, as always. Click here to opt-out of Google Analytics. Not everyone knows how to make cakes perfectly. Brioche & Christmas Pudding Bread & Butter Pudding. 250g (2.5 cups) icing sugar Measuring spoons Exciting filming and books planned over the coming year so keep an eye on the news page for updated information. Keeping this cookie enabled helps us to improve our website. Mary Berry trained at The Cordon Bleu in Paris and Bath School of Home Economics. Measuring cups They’re ready when they have risen and look nice and cooked on top. You can do this in any order but we started with the eggs. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. To make Orange Fairy Cakes: Add the grated rind of 1 orange in step 2. (I normally whizz it altogether in the electric mixer!) Cupcakes, Chocolate, Mary Berry, Christmas Tree. You can find out more about which cookies we are using or switch them off in settings. Then sprinkled silver balls on top for decoration. All that’s left to do is to divide the mixture between the twelve cupcake cases. https://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/mary-berry-s-iced-fairy-cakes Spoon the cupcake mixture into the cases. If you like these chocolate cupcakes, check out our easy chocolate fudge cake and all our favourite cake and cupcake recipes. 115g (1 cup) self raising flour Next fold in the flour and mixed spice until evenly blended. Fill them about ¾ full. You might need the following baking tools/gadgets to make these chocolate cupcakes, Muffin tin Please enable Strictly Necessary Cookies first so that we can save your preferences! Just found it!! They’re such a simple classic bake, and a favourite with my kids! Your email address will not be published. Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *. Digital scales We used a chocolate butter icing to decorate our cupcakes because my youngest was in charge and he loves chocolate! Once you've added the icing, add some sprinkles or chocolate flakes on top. More recipes from Mary Berry's Complete Cookbook * Heavenly chocolate cake * Best ever brownies * Roast lamb shoulder with lemon and olives Love sing your kids doing the hard work;). They had so much fun eating these! Fully revised and updated with a fresh modern look and 30 new recipes >>, Over 150 delicious recipes for a relaxed Sunday lunch >>, Discover how every delicious dish can be made completely foolproof >>, Tales of growing up during the war, life at school, cookery and writing books and TV >>, Add a little Mary magic with 120 brand-new recipes from the inspiring new BBC series >>. Once you’ve mixed the icing together, if you feel it is too thick and could do with a little loosening up add a little more milk. I hope you like them as much as my kids did! 60g (1/4 cup) butter, unsalted If you don't have a piping bag, simply smooth on the icing to the top of each cupcake with a small pallette knife or blunt butter knife. ), Then zest the orange and squeeze in the orange juice. Icecream scoop These really easy chocolate cupcakes, are based on a recipe from Mary Berry. 3 tbsp milk. However, with this recipe for Mary Berry’s iced fairy cakes you don’t have to have any previous baking experience to get a perfect result. Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. Easy Mary Berry chocolate cupcakes These easy chocolate cupcakes from Mary Berry are the perfect bake for kids to try. 30g (1/4 cup) cocoa powder Bake the cupcakes for 12-15 minutes. Get your kids to measure out the measure all the ingredients out and add them to a large mixing bowl or free-standing mixer. I’ve got lots of fun and easy Cupcake Recipes for Parties for you to try out – right-click and open these other recipes in a new tab so that you can read them after this one! Freestanding mixer From easy vanilla cupcakes to decadent Black Forest chocolate cupcakes, work your way through our favourite cupcakes recipes. Fill them about ¾ full. Skills your kids get to practice making these chocolate cupcakes include, measuring ingredients, cracking eggs, and mixing everything together. Mary Berry's Christmas Chocolate Cupcakes. Pipe the icing onto each cupcake. This is my go-to recipe for chocolate cupcakes and is so tasty I haven’t felt the need to look for an alternative. Method. My kids love making cupcakes and these chocolate cupcakes are one of their favourite bakes. The result is so rewarding too. At £2.50 for the kit which contains all the dry ingredients (and the splash of brandy needed for the frosting), plus instructions and cupcake cases to make 12 cupcakes, I’d say that this is a bargain! I love this recipe as well because it all gets mixed together in one bowl. I always sieve flour first to make it a bit lighter. I would normally either mix everything together, or put the wet ingredients to the sugar and butter mix first and then fold in the flour, but that’s just me and I will probably do that next time I make these (I’ve got another kit in the kitchen waiting to be prepped! This just makes it easier to fish out any rogue shell. Make the chocolate buttercream by adding the cocoa powder, butter, icing sugar and a few spoons of milk to a mixing bowl or free-standing mixer. Fill each paper case with the mixture. them! Add the butter icing to a piping bag with a large star shaped nozzle. Once you’ve added the icing, get your kids to add some sprinkles or chocolate flakes on top. If you disable this cookie, we will not be able to save your preferences. Mary Berry's lemon meringue cupcakes have a lemon curd centre with a swirly meringue top to make a classy and irresistible addition to afternoon tea. Mixing bowl Will Christmas markets go ahead this year? Thank you, as ever for all your trusted support. Bake the cupcakes for 12-15 minutes. Mary Berry trained at The Cordon Bleu in Paris and Bath School of Home Economics. Mary Berry's iced fairy cakes are so easy to make using store cupboard ingredients and they are ready in just 30 minutes! This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. 4 tbsp boiling water To make the icing, blend 225 g (8 oz) sifted icing sugar with the juice of 1 orange until you have a fairly stiff icing. The fruits that came with the kit were not soaked in alcohol, but it’s something you could do a few hours in advance by spooning over a couple of tablespoons of brandy or rum or whisky to make the cakes boozy as well…it is Christmas after all! We earn a commission for products purchased through some links in this article. It also doesn’t matter what order you add the ingredients to your mixing bowl, which is great if you suddenly realise you’ve forgotten to add something. Some recipes, like these are quite forgiving to a bit of haphazard weighing by toddlers! Line a muffin tin with paper cases. If your kids want to do it, make sure they level off the top of the teaspoon with their finger. If you have an ice-cream scoop, they spoon out the perfect amount so can make life a bit easier (and less messy).