Be Sure to watch the video for how to make this recipe below. This Middle Eastern chicken thighs recipe is precisely the kind of one-pot meal that I love to turn to on a weeknight. I did not use pomegranate seeds. Be careful that it doesn’t burn. Set aside for now. It came together surprisingly quickly; I wouldn’t hesitate to make this again on a busy night. Oh, I also added chopped cilantro at the end (after everything was cooked), which brightened up the dish nicely. Hi! NYT Cooking is a subscription service of The New York Times. Add chicken, reserved marinade and remaining 1/4 cup water and simmer, covered basting chicken frequently, 10 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. And as a thank you, I will give you a FREE copy of my e-Cookbook to get started! Combine a layer of crispy lettuce with a veritable herb garden of tabbouleh, some garlic yogurt sauce and a dollop of hummus and you have your new FAVORITEmeal right there. I favour cooking it in the oven because the marinade is apt to burn on a barbecue. Cheers! If you make this recipe, snap a photo and hashtag it #LeitesCulinaria. I paired my chicken with whole wheat couscous but next time, I think I will use rice so that all of the pan juices get absorbed into the rice. Optimum marinating time here is 8 hours. Welcome to my table. Flip … Each serving about 247 calories and 4 grams fat (17% calories from fat). Place dish in preheated oven and cook for 25 minutes. Used the 1/4 in the spice rub but not sure where to add more. Middle Eastern cuisine is one of my favorites. I made this last night and it was a little too sweet for me. Served with a Mediterranean chopped salad (cucumber, tomato, red onion, anaheim pepper, and parsley) with a simple tahini dressing and warmed pitas. Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. In a casserole dish or ovenproof heavy-based pan with a lid, heat 1 tbsp oil over a medium-high heat. Ok, first and foremost, if you haven’t tried out my Chicken Shawarma Salad then that’s a good place to start. Today, influenced by my mother's tasty kitchen, and my extensive travels, I share easy wholesome recipes with big Mediterranean flavors. Add cinnamon sticks, bay leaf, and chicken broth. But not clear what makes this "Middle Eastern." I favour cooking it in the oven because the marinade is apt to burn on a barbecue. This sounded great! Fry the chicken, uncovered, for 2 mins each side. In a ceramic or glass container stir together soy sauce, 1/4 cup water, lime juice, Sherry, garlic, gingerroot, curry powder, thyme, and oregano and add chicken. Next time I'm going to try adding some honey and a bit less lime in the marinade; if that doesn't work, substituting orange juice instead of lime might be interesting. Not having to marinate the chicken saves time; I worried that not marinating would leave the chicken bland, but the simmering with ghee and onions and spices left the chicken moist and deliciously savory. Didn't love it, didn't hate it. Add chicken back to the skillet (nestle the pieces in between the rice). I will make this again for sure. The pita idea is great; this would work well. If you like this one, check out: Greek chicken and orzo; Easy Lemon Chicken; Mediterranean Kidney Bean Salad; Spanish Chickpea Stew; and Mediterranean Braised Lamb Shanks. The smell of it cooking made me nauseous! Not only was it fast and easy, everyone loved it!! I was in the mood for Middle Eastern, and I felt this tasted too Asian with the soy sauce and ginger. It’s a red berry with an astringent, lemony flavour, the fruit of a small bush. I used strips of chicken and served it with couscous and cauliflower. The turmeric is used in the chicken and the rice. Then tell us. I just follow the recipe and it comes out yellow every time. We loved this. Love that the chicken recipe uses spices I already have on hand, making it a great recipe to keep around for those nights when I don't know what to make for dinner. If I don’t have green cardamom on hand can I use the regular cardamom from my spice drawer? It was easy to make. Sometimes, you just have to use what you have on hand! Sprinkle the chicken with the fresh lemon juice, combine spices and sprinkle over chicken, top with slivers of garlic. Let us know what you think. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, 6 to 8 minutes. This recipe hits the flavor notes! I make it the original way and serve it with couscous. Welcome to The Mediterranean Dish, your #1 resource for Mediterranean recipes & lifestyle. It is a digital cookbook and cooking guide alike, available on all platforms, that helps home cooks of every level discover, save and organize the world’s best recipes, while also helping them become better, more competent cooks. Scatter with coriander, pomegranate seeds and flaked almonds, if you like. Pour the rinsed chickpeas over and then the tomatoes. Cook for 4 minutes or so, tossing regularly, until tender. Whatever reason you’re cooking, try Let's Cook. I will make this again for sure!! ★☆ Very good recipe! I'm Suzy. ★☆ 1 teaspoon minced peeled fresh gingerroot, 2 skinless boneless whole chicken breasts (about 1 1/4 pounds), halved, Accompaniment: cooked couscous if desired. And a starter of creamy roasted garlic hummus wouldn’t hurt. These add-ins all contributed important flavors and textures to the rice—crunch from the almonds, acidity from the lemon, and freshness from the parsley. That will work, Michelle! Serve immediately. It’s something my kids enjoy a ton, so why stop there! I used a brown and wild rice combo for the grains. I made this for my book club and we all raved-- it was delicious. This dish is ideal as part of a warm and cold buffet where people have a bit of everything including a rice pilaf. My dish was far more colourful than the photograph! Quinoa worked very well, but couscous or the other suggested grains would all suit to soak up the flavorful juices. Love this recipe - easy to make and incredibly fragrant. Then I topped it with the chicken/onions which had made an excellent amount of juice/gravy that moistened and flavored the quinoa even more.