Malcolm McLaren had known Reid since art school. I could compare typography projects within the 1980's and 90's with artwork concerning text, and perhaps explore if there is an overlap between the two. 1970s curvaceous type with swashes and Herb Lubalin inspired ligatures are becoming increasingly popular from Instagram to branding. Is history repeating itself? Above: 2018 T2 tea packaging, 2019 book cover, both using 1970s style typography. Not only do I love the minimalist design but they are massive in scale which makes their impact on a wall that much greater. But yeah, I've definitely received my fair share of hate mail already. I'm going out on a limb here and guessing this includes some of you, dear readers. Punks and fans of the music are VERY protective of it -- and I think that's cool to a point. Instead Reid cut letters out of newspapers and magazines, collaging them together to be photographed. Take a look around and there is plenty of evidence to suggest that history is repeating itself. (Alternate question: how did you first get involved with punk music and what was its effect on you?). A side-note from the author: Be more Punk, a call to action in 2016. Reid designed the band’s logo and many of their record covers. Part of HuffPost Entertainment.

And while both punk and Swiss modernism share the same stripped down and minimal approach, their content and message were mostly polar opposites. Therefore, New Wave designers such as Weingart felt intuition was just as valuable as analytical skill in composition. The chaotic new 'punk' style that he established was about exploration and enjoyment of creating the text, the typographer was no longer a slave to the text, but the other way around. Often designers collaged text using found and incongruous type elements—haphazardly intermingling bold serif and sans serif typefaces to achieve the classic punk style. Mike Joyce is a graphic designer based in New York, and he's been creating an incredible poster series for nerds who enjoy the convergence of punk music and Swiss modernism. The comparison and exploration of certain times in which typography changed dramatically could also be an interesting topic, I could focus on the digital revolution and the industrial revolution. Do you ever receive hate mail from die-hard punks about such weighty issues? Sarah Hyndman is the founder of Type Tasting, which she launched on February 14th 2013 with an evening of ‘Typographic Swearing ’n’ Cussing’, as an antidote to the saccharine sweet commercial romance of Valentine’s Day. A poster I designed as part of a double sided A2 broadsheet.

Have you ever taken advantage of this fact? The DIY design ethos gained new impetus with the arrival of the Apple mac in the 1980s which gave designers direct access to typefaces and started a whole new debate about ‘ugly’ design. Wolfgang Weingart is a German artist born in 1941, he is known as the “father” of the New Wave style/Swiss Punk Typography style. Mike Joyce: I like the first question better. So what do you think of the slideshow below, readers -- genius or sacrilege?

That kind of inspiration stays with you forever. We will ship it separately in 10 to 15 days. I feel that the contemporary and disorganised style of the newly named 'Swiss Punk' is similar to the way in which text is used in art.

And I think it's fun to see that bands like the Goo Goo Dolls started out as a messy, thrash-punk band opening up for the Dead Milkmen. They both shared similar taste in design and similar political ideals, influenced by the beliefs of Situationist International—a Paris-based movement rooted in anarchy and anti-capitalism, and made up of quirky artists and intellects. I asked Mike to answer some questions via e-mail, so check out his responses below, and keep scrolling for a slideshow of the posters. The last article I posted was about what I believe is a new trend in web design. Post-Modern Punks: Punk Design Emerges. For this post I want to share some projects I found on Pinterest that embody a bit of that style. It's a style that has been around for quite a long time and actually has a lot of influence from Wolfgang Weingart work and many other designers that broke with … So I've always been inspired by those two contrasting art forms. As traditional attitudes came to be considered outdated, society rebelled against the mainstream and demanded change. In actuality it was part of the Postmodernist movement which began as a reaction to the rigid restrictions of Modernism. Legal Notice | Terms & Conditions of sale | Data Protection Policy | Cookies, We've automatically set up the delivery nation on, "If technologists are the rock stars of today, Petter Neby is the drummer.". So I've always been inspired by those two contrasting art forms.

All rights reserved. The band’s style of music was well represented by art student and anarchist Jamie Reid who had developed his unique collaged ‘ransom note’ typography whilst art directing a radical political magazine. Swiss Punk Wolfgang Weingart is a German graphic designer credited as the progenitor of New Wave typography.

Wolfgang Weingart is an internationally known graphic designer and typographer. ©2020 Verizon Media. Furthermore I could show how although typography has changed dramatically throughout the 20th Century, roots from the early 1900's can still be found within texts of the early 21st Century. is a Swiss design-led consumer technology company that make products which aim to simplify lives and create a healthy work life balance. Are all of these bands under the "punk" umbrella or are you fudging a bit? We're thinking ahead and we want to find new topics, good ones, to share with you guys. Most of the punk and hardcore posters and flyers were just black and white, photocopied pages. She has been interviewed on the topic by Dazed & Confused “How to start a revolution with Comic Sans” and Design Week “Punk was the anti-Helvetica”. Typography in relation to mapping and the city (19... Wolfgang Weingart and Swiss Punk (14.02.13), Muller-Brockman and the Bauhaus (06.02.13). I could focus on the modernist rules and standards that the generic typographer believed in and how Weingart ripped them apart.