If you aren’t a blue deck, picking up an abundance of cards that self-mill allows you to see your S-tier escape cards more often. If it doesn’t, does it make up for that by being an objectively powerful archetype-agnostic card? You generally feel OK casting Blight-Breath Catoblepas with no other black pips on the battlefield, but you want to be sure that your deck has enough black cards to pick off a 3+ toughness creature with some amount of consistency. Feel free to leave a comment below as well. Dawn Evangel goes from “generally worse than Nyxborn Courser” to a decent value engine. When this deck comes together, it feels like a tier 1 deck. It provides a nice amount of card selection and a reasonably fast clock. Underworld Rage-Hound is a premier 2-drop in the RB deck because you have access to an abundance of removal to force it through and there’s enough attrition pieces to be able to escape it multiple times a game. 2. move to play more than 40 cards, you first need to check a few boxes: If all these things are true, then go The list of cards that live in this space is short, but that’s more a function of how good Mire’s Grasp is rather than a function of the uncommons being weak. Wizards may send me promotional emails and offers about Wizards' events, games, and services. MTG Arena Zone is unofficial Fan Content permitted under the Fan Content Policy. though it’s the slightly better card in a vacuum while the RW deck much prefers archetype tiers as a tiebreaker. Daybreak Chimera, on the other hand, really wants you to play with a ton of white cards. I’m not one to argue that double-pipped cards are that much less flexible than single-pipped ones, as you can generally adjust your mana base to play the cards you need to play. decks want one more than the other. rankings for each archetype in the format before we go in-depth:Tier 1Tier 2Tier 3BG Sign up for our newsletter to hear the latest on offers, content, tournaments, sales and more - wherever you are in the Multiverse. and white color pairs lend themselves to aggro decks. mana base building skills. A distant fourth, most red decks will play I have UW as two different decks: the ones exists at Rare in the form of Enigmatic Incarnation. Your best Delver-like threat is Mischievous Chimera, but Vexing Gull does a decent impression as well. no clear direction, I’ll pick up an Insight and move in. Apply. For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Javascript in your browser. Sort By. I think the first time many players read an escape card they thought of it as “flashback but for creatures”. Do more of these for future sets! It triggers constellation, it exiles creatures, it’s cheap removal… There’s not much here to be upset about! I want to stress long-term resource management is something that comes up in a percentage of games—around 50% if I had to put a number to it—but it isn’t solely what the format is about. Return has a few things going for it that Revoke doesn’t, the main one being its ability to snag an escape creature out of the opponent’s graveyard. theme, but that’s mostly incidental. Given all the time and cards in the world, escape can grind out virtually any other deck as they’re a source of renewable card advantage only limited by the number of cards in your library. That’s exactly how Fruit of Tizerus must feel because all of its classmates received a grade well above passing. Cards that are better/may be you can’t block it” starting early in the game. Core Set 2020; Core Set 2020 War of the Spark ; War of the Spark Ravnica Allegiance; Ravnica Allegiance Guilds of Ravnica Core Sets; Core Set 2019 Dominaria; Dominaria Ixalan; Rivals of Ixalan Ixalan Amonkhet; Hour of Devastation Amonkhet Amonkhet Invocations … It’s quite good against white Let’s revisit those for a second: Now that we’ve touched on the fundamentals Set Descending Direction. Most of the common escape cards require you to exile three cards to pay their escape cost. These are both too contextual for me to definitively say “this one is better than the other” in either direction. you are to lose to a deck that’s more synergistic or just straight-up more Both cards are fine on their own and are two of the only cards that make me lean hard into the 4-power matters theme.