It is supposed to be nice and firm, with a mousse-like texture but still, pretty firm!

Process avocados, coconut oil, lime juice, and 1/4 cup agave nectar in a food processor until filling is very smooth; pour over the crust, smoothing with the back of a spoon or spatula. I used regular limes for the zest. Rude or insulting comments will not be accepted. The crust contains ground oats, shredded unsweetened coconut, maple syrup (you can use any other liquid sweetener), … Bake for 20 minutes or until it turns golden brown. So I made the condensed milk the classic way – simmering milk (coconut milk) and sugar (stevia) together for what seemed like an eternity. You also want to let your vegan condensed milk cool in the fridge after making it so that it gets nice and thick. In the end it was looking at what the ‘regular’ version of key lime pie actually is that was the deciding factor. Make it using soy milk or rice milk powder so that it’s nice and thick for using in this pie. Hi Susen, I haven’t tried it in this recipe but I have for other recipes (the only brand I’ve tried is Nature’s Charm) and usually it works pretty much the same way. Get the latest vegan recipes sent directly to your inbox. Open the cans and scoop out only the hardened cream section that will have risen to the top into the bowl of a stand mixer, leaving the watery part behind.

To be more ‘traditional’ use key limes, but really no worries at all if you use regular limes. The thing that was holding me back? The main thing is to get your vegan cream really nice and firm. . I have found that it’s a bit runny compared to actual condensed milk, but I have successfully thickened it using another tip I found for heating it in the microwave at a low power for a few minutes. You will love this vegan key lime pie! If so are you using the sweetened or non-sweetened version. So whatever is easiest to get hold of, it won’t make a significant difference to your end result. . Hi Sally, sorry to hear about the challenges in making this pie but I’m thrilled that it turned out well in the end and everyone enjoyed it! Your feedback is really appreciated! zest 1 lime plus a few thin slices to decorate (optional) For the crust. I have no idea how much of the thick white stuff is in those coconut cream cans…thanks! It would be most accurate to go by weight since different brands have different size cookies. It got even more thick while sitting out. All rice malt syrup and coconut oil until dough just becomes to form a ball. I wanted to make the crust very firm and baking it is a good way to ensure that it is! So let us know what you think of this vegan key lime pie in the comments and please rate the recipe too! About Me →, This post may contain affiliate links. Made this for a birthday and it went down very well, I made the condensed milk the day before and left in the fridge overnight. Have you tried this, and if so, which brands do you find work best? I made this pie and it was delicious, however, it came with some challenges. If yours is a bit on the softer side, add in a 1/4 – 1/2 tsp of xantham gum and whip again. Rude or insulting comments will not be accepted. I used a hand blender to make it creamy before combining with the coconut cream. It is also freezer friendly, just let it thaw in the fridge when you’re ready for it. The crust can either be made with vegan graham crackers or vegan digestive biscuits, it depends where you are in the world as to what would be easier to get. the pie itself I put in the freezer for 2 hours and then put in fridge and it turned out perfect thank you for an amazing recipe. It is very smooth and creamy, and comes in a large squeeze bottle. If it is not, then add in 1/4 – 1/2 tsp of xantham gum to get it nice and firm. Process until finely ground. Your email address will not be published. You can also use store-bought canned vegan condensed milk, and if so, you can use a full 14oz/400ml can. Three Regional Recipes. Can you estimate how much I should use that? Creamy dreamy vegan key lime pie! It was delicious! As mentioned before, this vegan key lime pie can be made nut-free. And by the way if you love key lime flavor then check out our key lime cake and key lime cupcakes too! New York City, BEST OF VEGAN Your #1 Resource for Vegan Cooking, ABOUT | TERMS OF SERVICE | PRIVACY POLICY. Thanks. All rice malt syrup and coconut oil until dough just becomes to form a ball. The closest I could come up with was the coconut cream used to make pina coladas, which is available in liquor stores. Thanks for sharing. Hi Tina, no cream of tartar is something different altogether.