Follow the buttons in the right-hand column for detailed definitions and verses that use the same root words. To answer your good question, let’s read 1 Corinthians 7:3-5, “ Let the husband render unto the wife due benevolence: and likewise also the wife unto the husband. (1 Corinthians 7:6-7). Both being single and being married require a special grace from God. In this situation the believing spouse is not bound[m] to the marriage, for God has called us to live in peace. 22 For truly, if you are called to a life-union with the Lord, you are already a free man! Paul was answering the question: ‘Is it good for a Christian to marry?’ For many people, that question means, ‘Will I benefit if I marry?’ That is a selfish attitude. However, there is evidence that some Jewish leaders during his time were committed to celibacy. Paul corrects that error and affirms the marriage covenant. And if you were called while yet uncircumcised, there is no need to be circumcised. Because of their marriage, they are not free to do whatever they want. If they both agree, then it is right for them to separate for that period. Next part: Will I serve God better if I marry? 38 So then, the one who marries his fiancée does well and the one who chooses not to marry her does better. 1 Corinthians 7:5-7. Or husbands, how do you know for sure that you could not one day lead your wife to salvation?[n]. 18 If when you were called to follow Jesus you were circumcised, it would be futile to try to undo the circumcision. You will find many possible translations and interpretations of this passage, which is loaded with cultural implications for the first-century church. At a Christian marriage, a man and woman give themselves to each other. And I will execute great vengeance upon them, love the Lord your God with all your heart, First Epistle to the Corinthians Wikipedia Article, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, (adverb) not, (conjunction) lest; also (as an interrogative implying a negative answer (whereas, A primary preposition denoting origin (the point whence action or motion proceeds), from, out (of place, time, or cause literal or figurative; direct or remote), Sounding together (alike), i.e., (figuratively) accordant (neuter as noun, agreement), A preposition of direction; forward to, i.e., toward (with the genitive case, the side of, i.e., pertaining to; with the dative case, by the side of, i.e., near to; usually with the accusative case, the place, time, occasion, or respect, which is the destination of the relation, i.e., whither or for which it is predicated), In order that (denoting the purpose or the result), To take a holiday, i.e., be at leisure for (by implication, devote oneself wholly to); figuratively, to be vacant (of a house), Abstinence (from lack of food, or voluntary and religious); specially, the fast of the Day of Atonement, And, also, even, so then, too, etc. [r] I must confess, I have no command to give you that comes directly from the Lord. (1 Corinthians 7:6-7), download page for our free 450 page course book. But sometimes the Christian man or his wife may desire time alone with God, perhaps for a few weeks. 28 But if you do get married, you haven’t sinned. Useful Bible Studies > 29 My friends, what I mean is this. 33 But a married man is pulled in two directions, for he is concerned about both the things of God and the things of the world in order to please[w] his wife. 7  For I would that all men were even as I myself. 30 And those who weep should forget their tears. This seems the most likely because of, The Aramaic can be translated “I wish that all humanity lived in purity as I do.” It is possible that Paul was once married and became a widower. And those who rejoice will have no time to celebrate. 39 A wife is bound by the marriage covenant as long as her husband is living. Translators are almost equally divided over making this an optimistic possibility versus a pessimistic one. [p] What really matters is following God’s commandments. And those who purchase items will have no time to enjoy them. They promise to give their time, money and energy to each other for that purpose, and for their children. Many people marry for selfish reasons, then after their marriage, they continue to live in a selfish manner. [g] Yet I understand that we are all decidedly different, with each having a special grace for one thing or another. 6  But I speak this by permission, and not of commandment. They may like each other very much, but it is not real love (1 Corinthians chapter 13). 14 For the unbelieving husband has been made holy by his believing wife. A husband and wife should care about each other, and not just about themselves. Popularity relative to other verses in 1 Corinthians chapter 7 using average monthly Google searches. But let me share my thoughts on the matter, as coming from one who has experienced the mercy[s] of the Lord to keep me faithful to him. Or “because of immoralities” or “because of prostitutions.”, The Aramaic (and a few of the oldest Greek manuscripts) can be translated “The husband should pay back the love he owes to his wife and the wife to her husband.”, Some later manuscripts add “and fasting.”, Or “concession.” There are at least two ways this could be interpreted: (1) Paul is saying that to be married is advisable but not commanded. To the Jews it would be earthshaking, for circumcision was the outward sign of God’s covenant with Abraham and his descendants. 13 And if a woman has a husband who is not a believer and he is content to live with her, she should not divorce him. They feel happy because of their marriage, but that is just their emotions. Information based on Strong's Exhaustive Concordance[1]. What does 1 Corinthians 7:5 mean? The questions about marriage and sexuality in this chapter are one of many topics that the people of Corinth brought to Paul’s attention in their letters. But because of the danger of immorality,[b] each husband should have sexual intimacy with his wife and each wife should have sexual intimacy with her husband. Many people marry for selfish reasons, then after their marriage, they continue to live in a selfish manner. 23 Since a great price was paid for your redemption, stop having the mind-set of a slave. They accept duties towards each other. (2) Paul is referring to the preceding paragraph, especially regarding the advice of abstinence during seasons … Defraud ye not one the other, except it be with consent for a time, that ye may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; … By their marriage, they are trying to get things; not to give. 16 And wives, for all you know you could one day lead your husband to salvation. This shows the English words related to the source biblical texts along with brief definitions. Consulting a variety of translations is recommended. 4  The wife hath not power of her own body, but the husband: and likewise also the husband hath not power of his own body, but the wife. Chapter 7 deals with the idea of Christian Liberty in the area of marital relations. All rights reserved. Or “better than to have a fire ever smoldering within them.”, Paul is not stating that there is an opposition between what he says, in his teaching as an apostle, and what the Lord says. And husband, how do you know that you will save your wife?” Which would infer “It’s no use hanging on to a marriage with no hope of converting the unbelieving spouse, for how do you know it would ever happen?” Though both are possible, the translator has chosen the optimistic possibility. This is a simplified translation of the original Greek word. Or “not to marry.” The Aramaic can be translated “It is proper for a husband not to have intimacy with his wife at times.” Paul now responds to a series of questions posed by the church of Corinth.