(Tahdhib al-Kamal 25:123-34), 8. However, Maslamah ibn al-Qasim (d. 353) believed him to be weak (da‘if) as mentioned by al-‘Asqalani (Lisan al-Mizan 8:254). He would stand as though a pillar praying from Zuhr to ‘Asr, and from Maghrib to ‘Isha’, he would not tire from Salah in the day and night.” Al-Mizzi states: “His excellences and virtues are very many.” (ibid. by avoided him and took a different path. Consequence of Rejection : Tormented by passing through 'Ali, and not Imam al-Sadiq (a), because he did learn hadiths from Zayd. He asked: “Do they have a head?” They said: “No.” He said: “These people will never attain fiqh!”” (al-Intiqa’ p. 257). ‘Awn ibn ‘Abd Allah said he prayed behind Abu Hurayrah (d. 59) situating his birth around the middle of the first century. Many great scholars of the past were not hermites. Learn how your comment data is processed. sudden leave to Basra ( due to his relative’s death) leaving Imaam Abu Moreover, his narrations from Abu Hanifah in fiqh were accepted by the Hanafi jurists, which is an assessment from them of his reliability. al-Basri)? Ahmad ibn Hanbal, al-Nasa’i and al-‘Ijli said he is trustworthy. The chain is hasan: Abu Ishaq Ibrahim ibn Ahmad ibn Firas (d. 344) is trustworthy (thiqah) according to al-Dhahabi (Misbah al-Arib 1:18); Musa ibn Harun (d. 294) is trustworthy (thiqah) according to al-‘Asqalani in al-Taqrib; Yahya ibn ‘Abd al-Hamid al-Himmani (150 – 228) is trustworthy according to Yahya ibn Ma‘in and al-Ramadi (d. 265) who said he is more trustworthy than even Ibn Abi Shaybah, and Ibn ‘Adi said “I hope there is no harm in him.” However Ibn al-Madini and others criticised him, bringing the hadith down to the level of hasan. His grandfather Marzuban was an Afghan from Kabul. Thabit, fearful that the owner of the garden would have a right over him on the Day of Judgement, approached the owner and asked how he could make up for the stolen fruit. Ali (RA) is eventually assassinated by the rebels in the Grand Masjid of Kufa. only in choice of wording not name.). Abu Hanifa was a mathematician of the first magnitude. What shall we do with him?” He said: “Do with him as you do with your dead, of bathing, shrouding, perfuming and praying over him.” (no. A.) Abu Hanifa's position about this problem was expressed in his Mujmal al-fiqh al-akbar where he said: "we leave the judgment about 'Uthman and 'Ali to God". ‘Abd Allah ibn Numayr al-Hamdani al-Kufi (115 – 199) is also a narrator found in all six collections of hadith. It has been taken as a widely accepted fact. He began a revolt against the Caliph Hisham Abdul Malik in the year 121 AH. This is also recognised in the books of later non-Hanafi authorities, as for example, Imam al-Nawawi refers to him as “Hafs ibn Ghiyath al-Hanafi” in his work on Usul al-Hadith called al-Taqrib of which al-Suyuti’s Tadrib al-Rawi is a commentary (Tadrib al-Rawi, Muhammad Ayman al-Shabrawi ed., p. 374). Read more: After 25 years, Imam of Masjid-e-Nabwi moved back to Prophet’s Mihrab to offer 5 times prayers. In al-Jawahir al-Mudiyyah (no. He takes Imam al-Hasan (a) to be the right caliph and imam after 'Ali (a). All of his traits stemmed from his willingness to submit to Allah (SWT), and that conscious of Allah (SWT) and his desire to uphold the teachings and character of the Prophet (SAW) enabled him to embody the Deen so beautifully that his intellect and study of the Islamic sciences benefits the entire Ummah to this day. I left one day in the evening with resolve to do this and then when I went to the mosque and saw him, my soul did not find it pleasing to separate from him so I came and sat with him. was a Taabi‘ee. Ahmad ibn Hanbal said: “[He was] a pious man, there is no harm in his [narrations],” and Ahmad would recommend those who visit Kufa to take from Ja‘far. order to cater for more than. One of the greatest indications that Imam Abu Hanifah’s opinions in fiqh were informed by an immense knowledge of hadiths, and related Islamic sciences, is the companionship with him of some of the most learned scholars of the salaf. The great scholar and contemporary of Imam Abu Hanifa (RH), Imam Malik ibn Anas (RH), is credited for compiling the scholarship of Medina into what is now called the Maliki madhab. The problem of whether a person who commits a major sin counts as having Iman (faith) or not was a matter of severe debate in the second half of the 2nd/8th century. Kufa, was where remained the followers of Imaam Abu Hanifah (RA. Imam Abu Hanifa first dedicated himself to the study of theology. Imaam Sahib departed from the gathering, barefooted, and ran to the place The consistent and intense devotion to worshipping Allah (SWT) is a characteristics of other great servants of Islam. Imam Abu Hanifa (RH) would evolve into becoming his teacher’s personal assistant, assisting him night and day by carrying his groceries and books. His success and his greatness made the political establishment of the times. After mastering he pursued the study of Islamic legal knowledge. Abu Hanifa never gathered his hadiths in a single collection. Prolongation of Trial: Khalifa Abu Ja’far He would never sell a defective product, nor would he bargain or argue over products. This page has been accessed 43,317 times. 0F QUR’AN’S COMPLETED IN With the same chain up to al-Nakha‘i, al-Khatib narrates: Al-Nakha‘i said: I heard Muhammad ibn Ishaq al-Bakka’i say: I heard Isma‘il ibn Hammad ibn Abi Hanifah say: This narration is sound: Muhammad ibn Ishaq al-Bakka’i is Muhammad ibn Ishaq ibn ‘Awn al-‘Amiri, Abu Bakr al-Kufi (d. 264), mentioned in Ibn Hibban’s al-Thiqat (Tahdhib al-Tahdhib 9:37) and al-‘Asqalani said he is “saduq” (Taqrib al-Tahdhib). Imam Abu Hanifa’s (RH) work in the subject influenced Imam Tahawi (RH) who composed the famous Aqidah Tahawiyyah, an encompassing summation of the Aqidah of Ahlus Sunnah wal Jama’ah. hadith it is remembered in its correct form to the very time of narration. a passer of Chief Justice. (Tahdhib al-Kamal 23:62-76). As the Umayyad Dynasty ruled from 661 to 750 AD, Iraq’s proximity as a front for the empire exposed it to an influx of factions, ideologies, and philosophies that caused division and confusion. In earlier posts, I quoted Yazid’s praise of Abu Hanifah: He said: “I comprehended the people and I have not seen anyone more intelligent, nor more virtuous, nor more scrupulous than Abu Hanifah!” (Tarikh Baghdad 15:498) Dr. Bashshar ‘Awwad Ma‘ruf comments, “Its isnad is sahih.” Al-Hasan ibn ‘Ali reported: I heard Yazid ibn Harun when a man asked him, “O Abu Khalid! basic Islamic teachings were acquired as a child, which were short lived Other Sunni scholars, such as Ibn Hajar al-Haythami, Ibn Sabbagh al-Maliki, and Sulayman al-Qunduzi said that he transmitted hadiths from Imam al-Sadiq (a). Before answering the last question, Imam Abu Hanifa (RH) requested to give his answer from a higher elevation than the questioner since it was the Imam who was speaking. In addition to the formulated Hanafi fiqh which is extant today, the only thing known about sources of his fiqh from old reports are some hadiths which are not very reliable.