Add chocolate chips; stir … I sometimes use more cherries then asked for as I love cherries. This cake was a really yummy way to use our fresh sour cherries. If you're short of time, don't bother to wash. It is particularly good with icing on top. Now that Nana is gone, I'm continuing the tradition. Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe. I served this at a bridal shower and received rave reviews. Pour Info. Rule of thumb: look for the top of the cake to be golden in color. Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. Put a few extra cherries on top and dredge with castor sugar, Cook for 45-60 minutes until well risen and golden and a skewer comes out clean, Take the cake out of the oven and leave in the tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool. Wonderful! Information is not currently available for this nutrient. So happy I found this recipe. Spread into prepared pan. Amount is based on available nutrient data. I used my food processor to mix and instead of regular milk I substituted buttermilk. The night before, I pace the cherries in a seive over a bowl to drain throughly so they are dry (so that they don't bleed into the cake and make it pink.) On those days I am decidedly an Everyday Cook. The only thing I changed was to use almond extract in place of the vanilla. Cooking time is the same. As with most of my cakes, this cherry loaf cake is made using the all-in-one method – put everything in the bowl and mix it well. 14 Nov 2011, when making this lovely cake, put cherries in a bag with a hand full of flour and roll cherries in the flour before putting them into cake mixture, this stops them sinking to bottom of cake, If you are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for personal consumption.  You can’t beat this easy dish. Most people won't think twice about serving basic cornbread when is on the table. The ultimate cherry cake! Most people won't think twice about serving basic cornbread when is on the table. Whatever you like is the short answer. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Drizzle cherry juice over the cherries. 433 calories; protein 6.1g 12% DV; carbohydrates 49.9g 16% DV; fat 23.8g 37% DV; cholesterol 123.2mg 41% DV; sodium 375.1mg 15% DV. So I had creamy pound cake with just spots of cherries. It only took an hour, and it was moist and delicious! Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). I ended up throwing out almost all of it. If desired, 1/2 cup sour cherries may be added to the sauce before cooking. Add comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe. Bake in the preheated oven for 80 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. This will remove the syrup and stop them sinking too much. Your email address will not be published. Powered by the ESHA Research Database © 2018, ESHA Research, Inc. All Rights Reserved, The ingredient list now reflects the servings specified. I made a cream cheese cherry frosting using the reserved juice rather than the cherry sauce. ***Edit: I also tried this recipe using Splenda and it did not turn out well - the consistency of the dough was different, and it did not rise well at all, which affected the end product. Beat together the oil, eggs, sugar, vanilla extract and milk until smooth in a large mixing bowl. Bake for 60 minutes. To Make Frosting: Bring sugar, butter, and milk to a boil. I did add some extra sugar to the cherries. They must be added at the end, by hand even if you did the rest with a machine. Overall it was very delicious and really good with ice-cream. Family loved it. Fourth, which I’ve also never done (because I can’t be bothered), keep some of the cherries bake and poke them into the mixture once it’s in the tin. A dump cake is known for ease because you dump ingredients into the cake pan. Set aside. Fold in the cherries. -  Cooking time is the same. 1 ½ cups sour cherries - drained, juice reserved. I loved this cake! Most people won't think twice about serving basic cornbread when is on the table. Use cherry pie filling and a box of yellow cake mix to make cherry dump cake! Great for tea or pudding. I might add an egg next time to make it a little lighter. My husband couldn't stop eating it. this recipe is awesome and was a big hit with my family. Cut them into halves and/or quarters. Drizzle the melted butter evenly over the dry cake.Â. I used a light olive oil both times and it works well. I cubed this cake after cooling it and used it with a dessert fondue. You can re-heat the entire pan in the oven.Â. Beat butter or margarine until fluffy. Cook the cake in a 7-inch/18cm deep round tin. But once you break the the crust, the cake will be moist because of the fruit. the only changes i made to the recipe were i used butter rather than shortening and i didn't add the walnuts or the red food colouring to the sauce. It tastes just like homemade cherry cobbler but is way easier! Preheat oven to 180 degrees C and grease a springform baking tin. I found, however, that I had to bake it for a much shorter time, so I would suggest checking it after 50-55 minutes so as not to overbake--this may be the reason for the dryness some reviewers mentioned. Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. Make two at a time and freeze one. And it came out just as fine. Preheat the oven to 350º F. Spray a 9×13 inch pan with non-stick cooking spray. Mostly I love cooking and baking, but combining work and home life often leaves me feeling that providing healthy, tasty food for my family is a chore. This cake recipe was exactly what I was looking for. Serve with butter (or cream and jam) for a teatime treat for the whole family. I often make two cakes and freeze one for later, as it’s so more-ish. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until mixture thickens. In a large bowl, cream together the shortening and 2/3 cup sugar until light and fluffy. My grandmother always made this creamy cake for Christmas morning. Excellent recipe! In a large bowl, cream together the butter, cream cheese, and sugar until light and fluffy. It's the perfect sweetness. I also used a 26x19 cms rectangular tin because I didn't know what a tube tin was and certainly don't have one. If you want a softer cherry sponge cake recipe with icing see the Iced Cherry Cake recipe. Apparently, my grandmother was a bit miffed – not surprisingly, as she had made her best cherry loaf cake. (Flour, butter, sugar, eggs, ground almonds, vanilla extract), Put the cake mixture into the prepared tin and make a slight dip along the centre to stop it peaking when cooked. You saved Cherry Pound Cake to your.  Even more delicious. Something went wrong. Place 1 cup sugar and butter in a separate bowl; beat with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, 4 to … This is my grandmother's recipe and has a lovely buttery, cherry taste. It only took an hour, and it was moist and delicious! Modified: Jul 4, 2020. Grease and flour a 9 inch square pan. Please try again. I was worried after adding all the juice it would be a soggy mess but it was not though it did stick to the pan quite a bit. For an added touch, sift icing sugar over the top as well. 328 calories; protein 4.2g 9% DV; carbohydrates 50.7g 16% DV; fat 12.9g 20% DV; cholesterol 21.8mg 7% DV; sodium 196.1mg 8% DV. Delish! Beat in the sugar. Just a perfect little cake--moist, tender crumb, with just the right amount of cherries--any more than what the recipe called for would have been overkill. Drizzle the melted butter evenly over the dry cake. (Although I’m not too bothered about that mostly.). Outstanding! Everyone at work who tried it loved it! No mixing or additional bowls needed for this dump cake with cherries.