Pour the mixture into a silicon candy bar mold or in my case, I use a plastic container that I purchased in a grocery store for storing chocolate bars. Just remember though, not all chocolate is created equal so be sure to read your ingredients when choosing one for this recipe, as many contain less than favourable ingredients.

Out of these cookies, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. Turrón is very famous and very popular. Break up the chocolate into pieces and place in a small saucepan with powdered sugar, milk, and butter.

6. Really, who doesn’t like a chocolate gift every now and then? 3. Turn off the mixer, sift the flour and cocoa, and add to the butter, mixing carefully with a rubber spatula. Your email address will not be published. There are so many different varieties too – hard, soft, with egg yolk, with coconut. The remaining chocolate will be used for the topping. There is a soft variety, which is the version Jijona is famous for, and a hard, crunchy variety from Alicante.

While still in the pan, pour half of the melted chocolate over the coconut mixture and spread in an even layer. No nutrition information available for this recipe. Return to freezer until set, an additional 10 minutes. Cafe Conversations Group Health Mentoring (Sydney Only). This recipe is what you would call a turrón casero.

The Spruce Eats uses cookies to provide you with a great user experience and for our, All About Turron, a Spanish Christmas Sweet, How to Host a Spanish Tapas and Paella Party, 31 Summer Ready Ice-Cream Recipes You Can Make at Home, Sitaphal - Custard Apple Ice Cream Recipe, Ben & Jerry's Creamy Fresh Kiwi Ice Cream. So, I’ve gone with a chocolate version of my own here.

So there we go. Check on them regularly as they catch really easily. Toast the almonds in the oven for about 5 minutes. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. Turrón, almond nougat candy is the most popular and traditional Christmas sweet in Spain. Photo and Recipe Sharing Policy.

Apart from the roast pork drenched in mojo and white rice and black beans, sliced turrones served on trays at the end of the night are a requirement at every Cuban holiday. In a chocolate mold or a turron shaped mold add some oil so the turron doesn´t get stuck there. While still in the pan, pour half of the melted chocolate over the coconut mixture and spread in an even layer. Off heat, stir in the vanilla while still warm. Place chocolate in a heatproof mixing bowl and set over a pot of gently simmering water.

In the mixer, beat butter and sugar at high speed until light and fluffy; add egg yolks, one at a time. Preheat the oven to 170ºC (325ºF).

These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. White Chocolate Chips and Walnuts Banana Bread, Raspberry Bars with Chocolate and Walnuts Meringue. There are two classic styles of Turrón that have been made the same way, using the same recipes for centuries. Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly.

Beat the egg white in a stand mixer until it holds soft peaks then, while whisking, gradually pour in the hot sugar and honey mixture.

Line a 26cm x 16cm dish with baking paper. I adore travelling and getting completely engrossed in the food and culture of wherever it is I land. Recipes excerpted with permission from Catalonia: Recipes from Barcelona and Beyond by : José Pizarro (Hardie Grant Books, 2017), Homemade turrón is a delicious sweet treat to make all year long. 9. ❤️, 100g chopped, activated almonds (roasted almonds are also fine), http://www.donquijote.org/culture/spain/society/food/turron, http://www.spanish-food.org/desserts-turron-de-alicante-y-jijona.html, http://museodelturron.com/web/en/category/info-museum-en/, Your email address will not be published. The chocolate can also be melted in the microwave for two minutes, stopping at intervals of 30 seconds to stir and prevent burning. Melt the sugar then bring to a rapid boil and cook until the mixture reaches 120ºC (250ºF) on a sugar thermometer. Set aside to cool. Cover turrón with more pre-crystallised ruby RB1. I love knowing the history of a food, or even an ingredient, don’t you? When this happens, add the nuts and cocoa powder to the turrón. Lower any chocolate that may have climbed up the walls: 5 minutes, 50º, speed 2. There are two traditional types of turrón.

One of the recipes that I enjoy making most is chocolate turrón with almonds.

Remove ice cream mixture from freezer and pour chocolate sauce over the top, spreading it to the edges with a wooden spoon if necessary. 50 grams of white chocolate; Soft turron recipe. Sprinkle crushed turrón over the top.

Freeze the loaf pan for about 10-15 minutes or until hardens, coat one more time and freeze again for 10 minutes. The original European version includes almonds (almendras) and is a typical Christmas dessert favorite.. Let them cool; In a mixer, add the almonds, the sugar, the honey and the white chocolate together and mix it.

Drop a little bit into a bowl of cold water – it should harden into a ball immediately. Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. I mean, you can see why… it’s gorgeous!

Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment.

But opting out of some of these cookies may have an effect on your browsing experience.

8. Stir again until all of the chocolate is smooth and glossy. Lift out of the pan and gently turn onto a layer of parchment or wax paper. Pulse blender on and off until the turrón is completely blended into the ice cream.

You only need a little creativity and if you like, these turrón bars can even be made in bite-size portions for combining with other sweets. Your email address will not be published. In fact, why not let them help you prepare this recipe and award the leftover chocolate spatula to the best helper? Bejinhos de Coco: Little Coconut Smooches, Gluten-Free Chocolate Cherry Peanut Butter Cookies, Gluten-Free Roasted Garlic and Herb Gravy. Of course, you might want to call first, but really, you can never have too many. Cut into squares to serve.

It’s one of their traditional desserts and I’m told by Spanish friends that Christmas just wouldn’t be the same without it.