Start this dish by boiling your pasta shells. Assemble the shells… Stuffing the shells is the biggest challenge.....I think next time I'll put the filling into a ziplock bag and cut the corner off and fill them pastry bag-style. It's just the kind of stuffed shells recipe I was looking for. I typically use Newman’s Own or Classico brands. You can use letters, numbers and white space. Thanks for your comment. Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe. I have not made this yet...but plan on doing so this week sometime! Place the ricotta cheese, 1 1/2 cups of mozzarella cheese, Italian seasoning, egg, salt, pepper and parmesan cheese in a bowl.

It will be flagged for our moderators to take action. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. The shells cook in the extra water and sauce, and its not the least bit runny! Home » Dinner » Classic Stuffed Shells Recipe. I didn't try piping filling in from a Ziploc but it sounds good. Will definitely make again. Refresh pasta with cold water to prevent it from sticking together. The stuffed shells can be made 1-2 days ahead of baking in the refrigerator, but do not cover it with the pasta sauce until just before baking as the noodles will soak up excess moisture and … Yum! I decided to ignore the fact that the recipe has no mascarpone in it (although the title mentions it). In fact, I will make some to freeze for those hectic nights. The cottage cheese ones were so much richer and had good texture, I start thinking about the leftovers at like 10:30, when lunch is at 12, and cant wait until that time to eat them. Real yummy. Do Not Sell My Personal Information Easy and tasty. You can also subscribe without commenting.

If you are using a food processor, be careful not to turn spinach to mush. Hubby requested that this be added to the regular rotation, always a sign of approval. Too small a hole is hard work, too large is hard to control. You may need to add another 10 minutes to the baking time to compensate for starting with chilled pasta. Place in cold water to stop cooking. Meanwhile, to make the filling, place ricotta in a sieve to drain off excess moisture, about 30 minutes. Protein: Stir 8 ounces of cooked crumbled ground beef, Italian sausage or ground turkey into the cheese mixture. s.setAttribute('data-uid','975113743e-XX');document.head.appendChild(s) The only suggestion I would make is to season the filling a little bit with Italian seasoning, but other than that this dish is EXCELLENT. Cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours. Info. It's very easy, and delicious. You can upload two images. When in season, Swiss chard can be substituted for spinach. It's just the kind of stuffed shells recipe I was looking for. These stuffed shells are filled with three types of cheese, then covered in marinara sauce and more cheese and baked to golden brown perfection. Stuff mixture into the shells. My family loved it! I don't like cottage cheese but wanted to give this a chance, so I made half the shells with ricotta instead, in case we didnt like the cottage cheese ones. Your comment will appear after our editors have had a chance to review it. Can you freeze stuffed shells? Follow Dinner at the Zoo on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest for more great recipe ideas! Cover the dish with foil and store it in the fridge until you’re ready to eat. But switching up your side dishes can bring a refreshing change to a classic comfort food dish. Set aside. This is such a fantastic recipe, can’t wait to try it!

Thanks for this easy recipe! It turned out after eating the cottage cheese ones, I couldn't go back to the plain ricotta ones! I have never pre-cooked the noodles. © Copyright 2020 Prime Publishing, LLC. Awesome filling.
This is the first time I have made Stuffed Shells. 557 calories; protein 37g 74% DV; carbohydrates 59.6g 19% DV; fat 18.2g 28% DV; cholesterol 97.9mg 33% DV; sodium 1197.5mg 48% DV. Thoroughly wash spinach to remove any sand, then discard any yellow or discolored leaves and all stems. Real yummy. Otherwise I would still do the spinach for some added vitamins without the meat. While the shells are cooking, prepare the filling by mixing together ricotta, mozzarella and parmesan cheeses, along with seasonings and egg. function loadFcSC975(){if(window.scrollY>88)loadFc975()};

This dish will stay fresh in the freezer for up to 3 months. Loved it, loved it! Spoon more sauce over the shells, then sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top. Fill each shell with the ricotta mixture and place in the baking dish. Due to the size of containers that ricotta comes in, I actually used 24 oz. No worrying about tearing the shells again! I prefer to use whole milk ricotta and mozzarella cheeses, but if you’re looking to save a few calories, you can use part skim. Love the idea of chopped spinach in the filling. Place stuffed pasta in pan and drizzle sauce over all.

Are you sure you would like to report this comment? Served with green Tabasco at the table for those who wanted more zip - it was awesome. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 25 to 35 minutes, or until bubbly. Cover the dish with foil. An additional bonus is that it can be prepared a day or two ahead for those busy nights you don’t feel like getting dinner ready. The mixture of stewed tomatoes, carrot, and onion is then passed through a strainer to obtain a smooth sauce. Advertise Karen M, Congrats! Cheese: You can use other types of cheese instead of the three I’ve listed, such as cream cheese, small curd cottage cheese, provolone, fontina, asiago or romano. Baked 20 minutes covered to keep from drying out and 20 minutes uncovered to brown. The recipe was easy to follow and it turned out wonderful. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. Baked 20 minutes covered to keep from drying out and 20 minutes uncovered to brown. loadFc975().

In fact, I will make some to freeze for those hectic nights. Loved it, loved it! My vegetarian daughters were deliriously happy. A hole about the size of a dime works great. Spoon the remaining marinara sauce over the shells, then sprinkle the other 1 1/2 cups of cheese over the top. Sauce: Swap out the marinara sauce for creamy Alfredo sauce, or use a hearty bolognese style meat sauce instead. © Copyright 2020, 20 Things to Cook This Month That Have Nothing to Do With Thanksgiving, 15 Vegan Muffin Recipes for Easy Breakfasts, 15 Comfort Food Dinners That Start With Creamy Alfredo Sauce, 2-Ingredient Snacks That Are Too Easy Not to Make, Use Your Stale Bread in These Savory Bread Puddings, 13 Spiked Apple Cider Cocktails to Celebrate the Season, 15 Comfort Food Casseroles Inspired by World Cuisines, 12 Recipes to Turn Extra Chicken into Healthy Main Dish Salads, 15 Ground Beef Soup Recipes for Easy Weeknight Dinners, Ground Turkey Slow Cooker Recipes for Easy Weeknight Meals, 11 Top Chicken Casseroles That Lean to the Healthy Side, 12 Classic Italian Recipes Made Easy in the Instant Pot, Nutrition Smear the bottom of a 10- by 14-inch baking pan with 2 to 3 tablespoons of the sauce. Let mixture cool somewhat, then pass it through a food mill or strainer, which will remove all seeds and make a perfect purée of all the vegetables. It could have used more sauce we thought, maybe a jar and a half. And who can resist all of that cheese? Assemble the shells, then cover tightly and freeze. If you are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for personal consumption. Notify me of followup comments via e-mail. A comfort food classic that’s great for feeding a crowd! Click the button above or drag and drop images onto the button. Spread 1 1/2 cups of the marinara sauce in an even layer in the bottom of the pan. **************** U P D A T E ************ They were easy to handle and didn't tear. Required fields are marked *. I decided to ignore the fact that the recipe has no mascarpone in it (although the title mentions it). Does this also apply to the Parmesan cheese?
My die-hard carnivore of a husband liked it a lot but would welcome hamburger or sausage added to the filling or spaghetti sauce. It’s so delicious and has a lot of flavor!

These stuffed shells are filled with three types of cheese, then covered in marinara sauce and more cheese and baked to golden brown perfection. Privacy Policy Place shells open side up, and close together in pan.