Emma. If you're a fan of chocolate-studded cookies, you might also enjoy Cowboy Cookies, Triple Chocolate Fudge Cookies, or Chocolate Chip Pretzel Cookies! That's right, friends...I whipped up my quick chocolate chip cookie dough using whole wheat pastry flour, which lends a wholesome twist without tasting dense or "wheat-y." VARIATIONS ON HEALTHY CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES, HOW TO STORE HEALTHY CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES. The vital wheat gluten gives the cookies the bounce and fluff you’d find in normal flours. Yield: 18 Servings, Amount per serving: 163 calories, Calories: 163g, Carbohydrates: 20g, Protein: 2g, Fat: 8g, Saturated Fat: 5g, Cholesterol: 21mg, Sodium: 102mg, Potassium: 102mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 12g, Vitamin A: 137g, Calcium: 16g, Iron: 1g. Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies with Crunchy Edges. Then, after my cookies were baked, I snapped an iPhone pic and posted it to Instagram, which inevitably influenced some other poor, unsuspecting soul to crave fresh chocolate chip cookies...until they could no longer resist baking their own batch. Thanks for pointing this out to me and I'm glad you enjoyed the cookies! Chewy and delicious One-Bowl Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies are made with 100% whole wheat flour, so there's no need to feel guilty about enjoying an extra cookie...or three! . Thanks again for your concern... , Your email address will not be published. Your mission, should you choose to accept it: Make a whole wheat chocolate chip cookie that tastes as good as a regular chocolate chip cookie. A Beautiful Mess is a lifestyle blog founded by sisters Elsie Larson and Emma Chapman. It lowers the calorie count to 125 calories per cookie, saving almost 40 additional calories a cookie while still being chocolate-y. As long as you tightly cover and refrigerate, the cookie dough should be fine for at least 4 or 5 days (or you could freeze for longer). Add in egg and vanilla until well combined. Loved this recipe. Add flour to bowl and evenly sprinkle baking soda and salt over top. (click for more). Your email address will not be published. Thanks for sharing! Position oven rack in center of oven and preheat to 350°F. Doing the math on the butter, this recipe makes 18 cookies. The chewy and crispy texture makes these the perfect chocolate chip cookies. In a medium mixing bowl, cream together the softened butter and sugars. The rolled oats go a long way in adding amazing chewiness to the cookie you’d only expect from the copious amounts of butter you use in other cookies. Happy baking, friends! Why are they the best? My family was never affected, but my heart goes out to those who were. my best recipes and tips via e-mail! I will definitely be exploring through your recipes after loving this one! When baking with whole wheat flours, you’ll want to add one tablespoon of vital wheat gluten per cup of flour. We’re going to just cut to the chase here. Bake for 12-14 minutes, 6 to a regular sized cookie sheet (bake in batches, keep cookie dough in refrigerator while other cookies are baking). As a professionally trained chef of 12 years, I've learned to make delicious, flavorful and healthy food you can enjoy while feeling good about what you're cooking. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for one hour, and up to overnight. Place the rest of the chocolate chips in a small bowl and scoop 18 balls of dough (just shy of 2 tablespoons) onto a large plate. They are made with butter and sugar and a generous heaping of dark chocolate chips. – This will save almost 30 additional calories a cookie. one bowl!) Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. How long can the dough stay refrigerated for before baking? Hi Shef! I only had all purpose whole wheat flour, so I added a little cornstarch to it. Chewy and delicious One-Bowl Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies are made with 100% whole wheat flour, so there's no need to feel guilty about enjoying an extra cookie...or three! So if you are worried these will taste like “health food,” then fear not, because they simply taste like delicious homemade cookies. These are hands down the BEST EVER Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies with semi-sweet chocolate chips. . . There’s a total of 2/3 cup of sugar in the recipe. without dirtying up a sink full of dishes. I subbed coconut oil for butter (slightly less oil than butter plus a bit of almond milk to make up the difference) and honey for white sugar (eyeballed). I'm baking these today - but I'm pressing the dough into a shallow baking dish and cutting them up as squares as I'm short on time and have to have them baked before the kids get off the bus today. I'm sorry to hear that, Rosie. These are hands down the BEST EVER Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies with semi-sweet chocolate chips. And furthermore, I made them a little less guilt-ridden (which means it's permissible to eat twice as many, right?) And that's exactly what I did earlier this month. Because you know what? Join thousands of others and receive Whole Wheat Chocolate Cookies are all the melty gooey goodness you want in a chocolate chip cookie without all the unhealthy ingredients. Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies are higher in nutrients and fiber. The recipe is so quick and simple and yet so delicious. I will put the full recipe in the printable recipe card below, but I did want to note that this whole wheat chocolate chip cookie recipe works best if you chill the dough in the refrigerator for at least an hour (up to overnight). When you're inundated with pics of warm-from-the-oven chocolate chip cookies all day, you kind of start craving them yourself. – This will save almost 20 additional calories per cookie. As someone who bakes pretty often, this wasn’t a major deal—I had other flours I decided to experiment with and use that were already in my pantry. These Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies are also easy to make, so you’ll get them right the first time and every time! Perfect texture and my favorite, one bowl! Hi Lanae! Top with flaky sea salt, optional. This way the chips are throughout and outside the cookie, which makes them look and taste bakery worthy. I feel certain you'll be pleasantly surprised by the tasty flavor and texture of these One-Bowl Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies.